Scott Hansen (born February 7, 1977), known professionally as Tycho (// TY-koh), is an American musician, composer, songwriter and producer. He is also known as ISO50 for his photographic and design work. His music is a combination of downtempo vintage-style synthesizers and ambient melodies. His sound is very organic, often incorporating clips of human elements into his songs (e.g. weather broadcasts, simple talking, or breathing).
Hansen performing in 2012
|Birth name||Scott Hansen|
|Also known as||ISO50|
|Born||February 7, 1977|
Tycho signed to Ghostly International in 2006, but has also released music on Merck Records and Gammaphone Records. His fourth studio album, Epoch, received a nomination for Best Dance/Electronic Album in the 2017 Grammy Awards. Tycho departed Ghostly International in 2019.
Hansen's music project Tycho is influenced by and has been compared to artists such as DJ Shadow, Ulrich Schnauss and Boards of Canada. His music captures the sound of lo-fi analog media while remaining both progressive and futuristic in composition and style. Themes of nostalgia, longing, childhood and the natural world are interspersed throughout Tycho's work. Brief interludes or vignettes also feature in his earlier work. In Past Is Prologue, Hansen includes excerpts from broadcasts accompanied by atmospherics to capture a specific moment or mood. His music is characterized by a mixture of electronic synths, live instrumentation, and vintage sound clips.
Until the release of the album Dive, Hansen worked as a solo artist and used the digital audio workstation, Cakewalk Sonar, to work with analog, virtual analog hardware, digital hardware and VSTI synthesizers as well as samples derived from live instrumentation, played by Hansen himself. While creating the album, he switched over to REAPER, a more dynamic program which he credits with allowing him to finish Dive. The album tour had a live band for the first time, hybridizing the electronic music experience with the dynamic energy of a performance featuring live instrumentation. After touring, Hansen decided to permanently open up the solo project, and work both on tour and in the studio alongside two other band members, Zac Brown on bass guitar and guitar and Rory O'Connor on drums. When performing, all the guitars are live, played either by Hansen or Brown. Bass guitar is also always live, with the exception of the song "Hours". Drums are played live by O'Connor, and lead synthesizers are also live. Hansen often plays guitar while triggering samples with his foot. His goal is to find the balance between the fluid nature of a live show with artists playing physical instruments and the precision and ability to stay true to the album of electronic music.
Since July 9, 2010 in San Francisco, California, Tycho performances have included a live backing band.
- Scott Hansen – synthesizers, guitar, bass guitar, visuals, programming
- Zac Brown – bass guitar, guitar
- Rory O'Connor – drums
- Billy Kim – bass guitar, keyboards, synthesizers
- Hannah Cottrell – vocals
- Joe Davancens – bass guitar, keyboards, synthesizers
- Mettler, Mike (March 31, 2015). "Interview: Tycho (Scott Hansen) on touring, digital vs. analog". Digital Trends. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
Ambient chillwave maestro Tycho always has his head in the clouds — something the man also known as Scott Hansen takes as quite the compliment.
- Hathaway, Aaron (March 25, 2015). "Tycho's ethereal chill-wave mesmerizes Majestic". The Badger Herald. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
- "Photos: Lotus and Tycho at Red Rocks, 09/17/16". The Denver Post. September 19, 2016. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
Electronic jam band Lotus and chillwave producer Tycho performed at Red Rocks on Saturday, September 17.
- "About ISO50 » ISO50 Blog – The Blog of Scott Hansen (Tycho / ISO50)". Blog.iso50.com. 2007-09-11. Retrieved 2017-01-20.
- "ISO50 Portfolio - The Visual work of Scott Hansen". Iso50.com. Retrieved 2017-01-20.
- "2017 Grammy Awards: Complete list of nominees". Los Angeles Times. 2016-12-06. Retrieved 2017-01-20.
- "Tycho". Facebook.com.
- "Tycho AMA". Reddit.com. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "The New Live Set". Blog.iso50.com. Retrieved 6 September 2014.