Two Essays on Analytical Psychology
Two Essays on Analytical Psychology is Volume 7 in The Collected Works of C. G. Jung, a series of books published by Princeton University Press in the U.S. and Routledge & Kegan Paul in the U.K. It has become known as one of the best introductions to Jung's work. It includes the essays "The Relations between the Ego and the Unconscious" and "On the Psychology of the Unconscious," wherein Jung presented the core of his views about psychology. Historically, they mark the end of Jung's close association with Freud and show his attempt to integrate the work of Freud and Adler into a comprehensive framework. An appendix includes original versions of the essays "New Paths in Psychology" (1912) and "The Structure of the Unconscious" (1916), (both discovered after Jung's death), to show the development of his thinking in later versions.
Section One: On the Psychology of the Unconscious includes these chapters: Psychoanalysis. The Eros Theory. The Other Point of View: The Will to Power. The Problem of the Attitude-Type. The Personal and the Collective Unconscious. The Synthetic or Constructive Method. The Archetypes of the Collective Unconscious. General Remarks on the Therapeutic Approach. Conclusion. Section Two: The Relations Between the Ego and the Unconscious includes: The Effects of the Unconscious Upon the Conscious. The Personal and the Collective Unconscious. Phenomena Resulting from the Assimilation of the Unconscious. The Personal as a Segment of the Collective Psyche. Negative Attempts to Free the Individuality from the Collective Psyche. Individuation. The Function of the Unconscious. Anima and Animus. The Technique of Differentiation between the Ego and the Figures of the Unconscious. The Mana-Personality.
Extensive detailed abstracts of each chapter are available online.
- Jung, C.G. (1967). Two Essays on Analytical Psychology, Collected Works of C.G. Jung, Volume 7, Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press. ISBN 978-0-691-09776-3
- Jung, C.G. (1992). Two Essays on Analytical Psychology, Second Edition, Collected Works of C. G. Jung, London: Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-08028-6
- "Collected Works of C.G. Jung, Volume 7: Two Essays on Analytical Psychology". Princeton University Press. Retrieved 2014-01-19.
- "Collected Works of C.G. Jung". (Click on this book's title to see the details). Routledge. Archived from the original on 2014-01-16. Retrieved 2014-01-19.
- "Abstracts: Vol 7: Two Essays on Analytical Psychology". International Association for Analytic Psychology. Retrieved 2014-01-19.