Tushar Arun Gandhi (born 17 January 1960) is the son of journalist Arun Manilal Gandhi, grandson of Manilal Gandhi and great-grandson of M.K. Gandhi. In March 2005, he led the 75th anniversary re-enactment of the Dandi March. From 2007 to 2012, he was the Goodwill Ambassador of the CISRI-ISP Intergovernmental Institution for the use of Micro-algae Spirulina Against Malnutrition.
Tushar Gandhi in 2014.
|Board member of||Managing Trustee, Mahatma Gandhi Foundation|
|Children||Vivan Gandhi, Kasturi Gandhi |
|Parent(s)||Arun Manilal Gandhi, Sunanda Gandhi|
|Relatives||Great-grandson of Mohandas Gandhi|
Born on a train between Mumbai and Kolkata, he was raised in the Mumbai suburb of Santacruz. He studied at Adarsh Vinay Mandir, a local Gujarati-medium school. He holds a degree in printing from Mithibai College.
Tushar Gandhi also runs the Mahatma Gandhi Foundation. He is the Chairman of the Australian Indian Rural Development Foundation (AIRDF). He also acted in an Indian movie called Heyram directed by kamal Hassan.
In December 2001, Tushar Gandhi negotiated with American marketing firm CMG Worldwide to use the Mahatma’s image in an advertisement for a credit card company. This perceived betrayal of Gandhian ideals was followed by a public outcry forcing him to cancel the deal.
In his book Let’s Kill Gandhi, Tushar blames Brahmins for assassinating Mahatma Gandhi. Critics have claimed that the book defames all Brahmins. Tushar has stressed that his claims relate only to "a certain group of Brahmins from Pune [who] were continuously attempting on the life of my great grandfather" rather than to Brahmins in general.
- "A Rare Glimpse Into Four Generations Of Mahatma Gandhi Family". Mere Pix. March 2013.
- "Bring Bapu's belongings home". The Times of India. 19 August 2012.
- "Tushar Gandhi to bid for Bapu's belongings". The Times of India. 18 February 2009.
- "Busy branding Bapu". The Hindustan Times. 3 February 2007. Archived from the original on 18 April 2012.
- Marketing the Mahatma, Frontline Magazine
- "'I was misquoted,' says Tushar Gandhi", Yahoo! India News