Turf Classic Stakes
The Turf Classic Stakes is an American thoroughbred horse race run in early May at Churchill Downs open to horses four years old and up. It is raced on turf at a distance of one and one-eighth miles and currently offers a purse of $500,000.
|Grade I race|
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
|Distance||1 1⁄8 miles (9 furlongs)|
|Qualification||Four-year-olds & up|
|Weight||124 pounds with allowances|
|Purse||$500,000 (since 2007)|
Formerly known as the Early Times Turf Classic Stakes, it is now sponsored by Old Forester. A major springtime race, it has been a grade I event since 1998. Male horses who have recently won a Grade I race carry 124 pounds – other horses are given reduced weights (allowances).
The 1987 inaugural running was won by the 1986 Breeders' Cup Turf winner, Manila. Other notable winners include two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan and champion turf horses Sky Classic, Paradise Creek and English Channel.
- Speed record
- 1:46.34 - Lure (1993)
- Most wins
- Most wins by an owner
- 2 - Allen E. Paulson (1991, 1992)
- 2 - Claiborne Farm (1993, 2004)
- 2 - Morton Fink (2013, 2014)
- 2 - Gunpowder Farms (2016, 2017)
- Most wins by a jockey
- Most wins by a Trainer
- 3 - William I. Mott (1994, 2004, 2018)
Winners of the Turf Classic Stakes since 1987Edit
- "Turf Classic Stakes Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- "Nominations and conditions for the Turf Classic" (PDF). www.churchilldowns.com. Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- "Defending Winner Divisidero, Top Females Lady Eli, Miss Temple City Nominated to Woodford Reserve Turf Classic". www.churchilldowns.com. Retrieved 6 May 2017.