Tunahan Kuzu (born 5 June 1981) is a Turkish-born Dutch politician. He is a former member of the Labour Party (PvdA). He has been an MP since 20 September 2012. On 13 November 2014 Kuzu and Selçuk Öztürk left the Labour Party and formed the Group Kuzu/Öztürk, later renamed DENK ("Think"). On 18 November 2014, he became Parliamentary group leader. In the 2017 Dutch general election, the party secured three seats in the House of Representatives.
|Member of the House of Representatives|
|Assumed office |
20 September 2012
|Leader of DENK in the House of Representatives|
9 February 2015 – 21 March 2020
|Preceded by||Position established|
|Succeeded by||Farid Azarkan|
|Member of the municipal council of Rotterdam|
22 May 2008 – 27 September 2012
|Born||5 June 1981|
|Political party||Labour Party|
|Alma mater||Erasmus University Rotterdam|
Kuzu grew up in Maassluis and studied public administration at Erasmus University Rotterdam. He worked as a health care advisor for PricewaterhouseCoopers, and was also a member of the municipal council of Rotterdam from 2008 to 2012.
This article's Criticism or Controversy section may compromise the article's neutral point of view of the subject. (May 2021)
Relations with IsraelEdit
Kuzu attracted international attention in September 2016 when he refused to shake the hand of Prime Minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu before a meeting at the States General of the Netherlands. In a statement posted to Facebook Kuzu explained his action as a protest against human rights abuses committed against Palestinian civilians in the Palestinian territories.
In May 2019, during a visit to Jerusalem to learn about the situation of the Palestinians in Israel, Kuzu was held up on the Temple Mount while carrying a Palestinian flag. According to Farid Azarkan, Kuzu was "taken by a large group of heavily armed soldiers". Kuzu was not arrested, however, he was stopped and released after an hour.
- (in Dutch) Parlement.com biography
- Two Turkish deputies expelled from Dutch labor party; Today's Zaman; 14 November 2014
- Mackey, Robert (7 September 2016). "Anti-Racist Dutch MP Refuses to Shake Netanyahu's Hand". The Intercept. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Sims, Alexandra (14 September 2016). "Dutch MP refuses to shake hands with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu". independent.co.uk. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- "Kuzu met Palestijnse vlag staande gehouden in Jeruzalem". nos.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 2020-06-10.