Tudela, officially the Municipality of Tudela, (Cebuano: Lungsod sa Tudela; Tagalog: Bayan ng Tudela), is a 5th class municipality in the province of Cebu, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 11,296 people.
|Municipality of Tudela|
Map of Cebu with Tudela highlighted
|Region||Central Visayas (Region VII)|
|District||5th district of Cebu|
|Barangays||11 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Erwin Yu|
|• Vice Mayor||Greman Solante|
|• Congressman||Red Durano|
|• Electorate||7,763 voters (2016)|
|• Total||33.02 km2 (12.75 sq mi)|
|• Density||340/km2 (890/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (PST)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)32|
|Climate type||Tropical climate|
|Income class||5th municipal income class|
|Revenue (₱)||46.1 million (2016)|
Tudela is eight kilometres (5 mi) east of the town center of Poro. Along with the town of Poro, Tudela is located on Poro Island. The town celebrates the fiesta of parish patron Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception each 8 December.
The town center comprises two barangays: Northern and Southern Poblacion. The nearly symmetrical arrangement of the streets allows pedestrians to navigate easily while viewing old houses (early 1900s) standing side-by-side with new ones.
Tudela is bordered to the north by the Province of Leyte in the Camotes Sea, to the west is the town of Poro, to the east is the island of Ponson with town of Pilar and the Province of Leyte, and to the south is the Camotes Sea
Tudela comprises 11 barangays:
The town is home to the Porohanon language, one of the most endangered languages in the Visayas. The language is only used in the Poro islands. The language is classified as distinct from Cebuano (Bisaya) by the Komisyon ng Wikang Filipino and is vital to the culture and arts of the Porohanon people.
Tudela may be reached by boat through Poro port. A large pump boat typically takes 3½ hours from Danao City pier. A fast craft (called Golden Bridge) takes 1½ hour from Pier 1, Cebu City. The slowest option is a ship that takes 5 hours from Pier 1, Cebu City. Motorcycles and jeepneys are available for ground transportation on arrival - all expensive.
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Cebu". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region VII (Central Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region VII (Central Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903–2007). "Region VII (Central Visayas)". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.