Trunk Muzik Returns
Trunk Muzik Returns is the sixth official mixtape by American rapper Yelawolf. The mixtape was released as a free digital download on March 14, 2013 on his Slumerican website and other mixtape hosting websites. It features production solely by WLPWR of SupaHotBeats, and guest appearances by Paul Wall, A$AP Rocky, Big Henry, Raekwon and Killer Mike.
|Trunk Muzik Returns|
|Released||March 14, 2013|
|Recorded||2012–13; Nashville, Tennessee|
|Singles from Trunk Muzik Returns|
The mixtape was promoted with three promotional singles, "Way Out", "Gangsta" featuring A$AP Rocky and Big Henry, and "F.A.S.T Ride", which also had music videos released.
During an interview with DJ Skee, he revealed that a sequel to his 2010 mixtape Trunk Muzik, titled Trunk Muzik Returns, and it would be released for August 2012, after "the dust settles on the Heart of Dixie" but since then it was delayed. In December 2012, Yelawolf addressed the status of all of his projects in an interview. Yelawolf stated that Trunk Muzik Returns would hopefully be released for February 2013.
On February 5, Yelawolf released the first song from Trunk Muzik Returns with "Way Out" and announced a release date of March 14, 2013 for the mixtape. On February 26, Yelawolf released "F.A.S.T Ride", and on March 12, "Gangsta" was released, featuring fellow rappers A$AP Rocky and Big Henry. The music video for "Hustle" with Paul Wall was released on October 15, 2013.
Trunk Muzik Returns was met with generally positive reviews from music critics, with most praising it as an improvement from his major label debut album Radioactive. Vice named the mixtape "Mixtape of the Month" saying, "Trunk Muzik Returns may very well be the best thing he's ever done. It's concise, shows an astonishing lyrical growth on Yela's part, and most importantly sounds like very little else out there." NMB of XXL gave the mixtape a positive review saying, "Trunk Muzik Returns is a return to the form that won his fans over. Unlike some of the uncomfortable attempts at pop songs found on Radioactive, Yelawolf is raw and uncut here, which has always been the basis of his appeal."
Peter Marrack of Exclaim! gave the mixtape a six out of ten saying, "Technically, his bars sound sharp as ever; even to a critical listener the double-timed, crisp-as-a-typewriter flows sail over your head...Trunk Muzik Returns is badass, amped-up music to ride to — songs that make that suburban town car cringe when you pull up next to it at the light." David Lee of HipHopDX gave it a mixed review saying, It sounds cool, but it’s bogged down by so many missed opportunities. Check out “Catfish Billy,” “Gangsta,” or any of the hooks on this project to see why you shouldn’t give up on Yelawolf. He’s a true artist and he should have room to experiment, but this just wasn’t it."
On December 24, 2013, XXL ranked it at number 25 on their list of the best mixtapes of 2013. They commented saying, "Re-exploring the sound that made him a household name, Trunk Muzik Returns find him doing lyrical acrobatics over superb production by3 Will Power of SupaHotBeats. He holds his own with renowned spitters such as Raekwon and Killer Mike, while giving us a taste of his country roots in songs like “Tennessee Love.” Technically, Yela kills it in both flow and rhyme schemes, indicating that his next LP should be worth the wait."
- All tracks produced by WLPWR of SupaHotBeats.
|4.||"Box Chevy Pt. 4"||5:11|
|5.||"Hustle" (featuring Paul Wall)||3:51|
|7.||"Gangster" (featuring A$AP Rocky and Big Henry)||4:49|
|8.||"Rhyme Room" (featuring Raekwon and Killer Mike)||4:13|
- Yelawolf - performer
- Paul Wall – performer
- ASAP Rocky – performer
- Big Henry – performer
- Raekwon – performer
- Killer Mike – performer
- SupaHotBeats – producer
- WLPWR – producer
- Matthew Hayes – mixing
- Irvin Johnson – mastering
- Robby Turner – guitar
- Smith Trustle – cello
- Mikey Belluso – bass, guitar
- Jeremy "J-Dot" Jones – management
- Joshua Dick – booking
- "Yelawolf interview on his upcoming projects Dec. 2012".
- Yelawolf Announces "Trunk Muzik Returns" Mixtape For February 2013 | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX
- Listen: Yelawolf "Way Out" | Complex
- XXL Mobile - Bangers - Yelawolf "F.A.S.T. Ride"
- "Yelawolf f. A$AP Rocky & Big Henry - Gangster | New Hip Hop Music & All The New Rap Songs 2011". HipHop DX. 2013-03-12. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Marrack, Peter (2013-03-14). "Yelawolf - Trunk Muzik Returns • Hip-Hop Reviews •". Exclaim.ca. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- David "Rek" Lee (2013-03-29). "Yelawolf - Trunk Muzik Returns (Mixtape Review) | Read Hip Hop Reviews, Rap Reviews & Hip Hop Album Reviews". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- "Yelawolf has Returned from the Wilderness of Suck, and his 'Trunk Muzik Returns' is our Mixtape of the Month | NOISEY". Noisey.vice.com. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- "Mixtape Review: Yelawolf, Trunk Muzik Returns - XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2013-03-22. Retrieved 2013-09-22.