The Trials of Apollo
The Trials of Apollo is a pentalogy of fantasy adventure and mythological fiction novels written by American author Rick Riordan that collectively form a sequel to the Heroes of Olympus series. It is set in the same world as other Riordan tales, and references characters and happenings from earlier series. A supplementary book, Camp Half-Blood Confidential, has also been released in addition to the main series.
Logo of the series
|Cover artist||John Rocco|
|Language||English (Latin words may be used)|
|Genre||Greek mythological fiction, fantasy, adventure and children's fiction|
|Publisher||Hyperion Books (US)|
Penguin Books/Puffin (UK, AU, NZ)
|Media type||Print (hardcover and paperback), audiobook, e-book|
|No. of books||4 (as of 2019)|
|Preceded by||The Heroes of Olympus|
The first book in the series, The Hidden Oracle, was released on May 3, 2016. The second book in the series, The Dark Prophecy, was released on May 2, 2017. The third book in the series, The Burning Maze, was released on May 1, 2018. The fourth book in the series, The Tyrant's Tomb, was released on September 24, 2019.
The series follows the trials of the god Apollo, who has been turned into a mortal named Lester Papadopoulos as punishment from his father and king of the gods Zeus. Zeus is angry with Apollo for a variety of reasons, most notably for the younger god's allowing his Roman descendant Octavian to rise to power during The Heroes of Olympus series by giving him his blessing. The final book of The Heroes of Olympus titled The Blood of Olympus takes place about six months before the beginning of The Trials of Apollo.
The Hidden OracleEdit
The book opens with Apollo landing in a dumpster in an alley in New York City—in the form of a mortal teenager named Lester Papadopoulos because of the events leading up to the war between the Greeks and the Romans. After shenanigans happen, he meets Meg McCaffrey. Believing that he must only undertake a simple quest to regain his immortality, Apollo and Meg travel to Camp Half-Blood with the help of Percy Jackson, where they learn most of the world's Oracles have stopped working. The two undertake a quest to locate and protect a remaining oracle, also hoping to learn how to help the other oracles and regain Apollo's immortality. Apollo also finds out that the first oracle he has to save is heavily guarded by the mysterious 'Beast' who happens to be the first of the three Triumvirate Evil Roman-Emperors-Turned-Gods.
The Dark ProphecyEdit
The Dark Prophecy is the second book in the series. It was released on May 2, 2017.
The book continues the story of Apollo as the mortal Lester, as he leaves the safety of Camp Half-Blood and journeys across North America to restore the remaining four Oracles and learn how to defeat the triumvirate of Roman emperors-turned-Gods, while being helped by Leo Valdez, Calypso and Festus the bronze dragon, the Hunters of Artemis, and some new characters, Apollo has to face and defeat The Second Triumvirate Emperor-Commodus,with whom Apollo shared awkward and regretful past with to obtain the throne of memory for his next prophecy. Apollo travels to the Oracles cave and gets his prophecy and comes back and defends himself and his friends from Commodus.
The Burning MazeEdit
The Burning Maze is the third book in the series. It released on May 1, 2018. The book follows Lester Papadopoulos/Apollo, Meg McCaffrey and Grover Underwood while they try to rescue Herophile, an Oracle that speaks only in puzzles, from the most infamous Roman emperor. After fleeing the labyrinth, Apollo dreams about the Oracle saying that he must save her even though it is a trap. When he wakes up, he finds himself in Grover's base. When Meg wakes up, they find the line from the prophecy, 'Demeter's daughter finds her ancient roots' to occur. Apollo and Grover go out to try to find Gleeson Hedge in an army store called Macro's Military Madness. They then find out that Macro, the store owner, is actually Naevius Sutorius Macro, working for Caligula. He attacks them with an army of automatons. By activating 'command sequence: Daedalus twenty three', they defeat Macro with his own robots. They then navigate the maze with enlisting the help of Piper McLean and Jason Grace. After a raid on Caligula's fleet of ships and Jason dying, Apollo and Meg steal a pair of Caligula's sandals, which let people navigate the Labyrinth. The next day, Grover, Meg and Apollo, using Caligula's shoes, walk the Labyrinth. They free Herophile, discover a new prophecy and free Helios by killing his grand-daughter Medea, a sorceress who was working with Caligula. The book ends with Leo arriving from Camp Jupiter and Apollo and Meg going to San Francisco while Coach Hedge, Mellie and baby Chuck, Piper and her dad set off to Oklahoma.
The Tyrant's TombEdit
The Tyrant's Tomb is the fourth book in the series. It was released on September 24, 2019. The story is set at Camp Jupiter in the San Francisco Bay Area. The story starts off with Apollo and Meg taking Jason's body to Camp Jupiter. On their way to Camp Jupiter, they were attacked by eurynomos, but a girl with pink hair arrives with dryads and a faun and kills the Eurynomous. She then introduces herself as Lavinia and said she would take them to camp Jupiter. After that, all the dryads and fauns started to leave. But as the last faun tries to leave, Lavinia spots him and said that he will not leave because of what he was supposed to owe Lavinia for helping him. They carried Jason's tomb to the tunnel where she knew a shortcut to Camp Jupiter. After they went into the tunnel, they see Hazel fighting a Eurynomous. Apollo tries to sing a song to help Hazel, but was scratched in the belly by a Eurynomous, before Hazel kills it. She then sees Jason's coffin and was terrified because she had a dream about Jason being killed by Emperor Caligula. After that, the five carried Jason's tomb and went to Camp Jupiter where they were greeted by Frank Zhang and Reyna Ramirez Arellano while everyone watched Jason's coffin being carried. Apollo sings a song about his quest and everyone was touched. They all decide that they will carry on with Jason's plan which was to build temples to honor the gods.
Apollo then faints and has a dream about Caligula and Commodus discussing their plan about Camp Jupiter. Apollo finds himself in a bed where Meg explains that he had been asleep for about 1 day and a half. They later go to the senator where they select him, Meg, Lavinia and Hazel to go to for a mission. After they find out about the old ghost King and his plans, they get more scared for the camp. But they have a plan to help them and so another quest is issued. After Apollo and Meg return, they see the camp in the midst of a war. Frank (the other praetor of Rome) sacrifices himself holding his firewood killing Caligula along the way to save the other legionnaires. Apollo later kills Commodus in the grief of losing Frank. Arion rescues Frank who mysteriously survives death and Reyna A. Ramirez Arellano pledges herself to the goddess Diana (Artemis) and joins the Hunters. Hazel is voted as the new Praetor of Camp Jupiter and Lavinia voted as Centurion of the Fifth Cohort.
Apollo receives his old Godly Bow as a gift from camp Jupiter and sets off to New York along with his companion Meg McCaffrey, after receiving the last and final prophecy from Ella and Tyson. They go in hopes to once again be reunited with their old friends Camp Half-Blood.
The Tower of NeroEdit
The Tower of Nero will be the final book of the Trials of Apollo series. In this book, Apollo and Meg will first go to New York and face Emperor Nero once and for all. Then Apollo will descend into the labyrinth through Camp Half-Blood and go to the Delphic cavern and face Python. It will be released on September 29th, 2020.
Camp Half-Blood ConfidentialEdit
A companion book titled From Percy Jackson: Camp Half-Blood Confidential was released on May 2, 2017. It is based on background facts of Camp Half-Blood and humiliates Apollo.
- Lester Papadopoulos/Apollo: Lester Papadopoulos is the mortal teenage incarnation of the god Apollo and is the main character of the Trials of Apollo series. He has to deal with such ordinary human problems as "zits, flabby muscles, and feeling pain" once he becomes mortal. He is looking for Oracles to restore in an attempt to earn his way back to Mount Olympus.
- Meg McCaffrey: Meg McCaffrey is a twelve-year-old demigod daughter of Demeter. She is described as a colorfully dressed street urchin. She is fierce, bossy, and tight-lipped about her past. She has a fearsome protector grain spirit named Peaches. She becomes Apollo's master in The Hidden Oracle.
- Peaches: Peaches is a Karpos that comes to Meg McCaffrey when she is in need.
- Percy Jackson: Percy Jackson is the son of the god Poseidon. Apollo intended for him to be his master, but he was not interested in being part of another Big Prophecy. He helps Apollo and Meg by guiding them safely to Camp Half-Blood, and thereby starting them on their journey and series of quests ahead.
- Will Solace: Will Solace is the son of the Greek god Apollo. He assists his dad and the other heroes in The Hidden Oracle.
- Nico di Angelo: Nico di Angelo if the son of the god Hades. He assists his dad and the other heroes in The Hidden Oracle.
- Leo Valdez: Leo Valdez is the son of the god Hephaestus. He returned in The Hidden Oracle with Calypso, on his bronze fire-breathing dragon, Festus, after being missing for over six months. He assists Lester in The Dark Prophecy.
- Calypso: Calypso is the daughter of the Titan Atlas. After being imprisoned on the island of Ogygia for millennia, she is rescued by Leo Valdez and brought to the mortal world. She assists Lester throughout The Dark Prophecy.
- Grover Underwood: Grover Underwood is a satyr, protector, seeker, and Lord of the Wild. He is summoned by Meg to guide them through the Labyrinth in The Burning Maze.
- Piper McLean: Piper McLean is the daughter of the goddess Aphrodite. She assists the heroes in The Burning Maze.
- Jason Grace: Jason Grace is the son of the god Jupiter. He helps Apollo, Meg and Piper in The Burning Maze. He dies while assisting Apollo and trying to fight the mighty emperor, Caligula.
- Reyna Avila Ramirez Arellano: Reyna Avila Ramirez Arellano is the daughter of the goddess Bellona, and former Praetor of the Twelfth Legion Fulminata. She assists the heroes in The Tyrant's Tomb, where she then becomes a Hunter of Artemis.
- Hazel Levesque: Hazel Levesque is the daughter of the god Pluto. She assists the heroes in The Tyrant's Tomb, where she then becomes Praetor of the Twelfth Legion Fulminata alongside Frank Zhang.
- Lavinia Asimov: Lavinia Asimov is the daughter of the muse Terpsichore. She assists the heroes in The Tyrant's Tomb, where she then becomes centurion of the fifth cohort.
- Frank Zhang: Frank Zhang is the son of the god Mars, descendant of Neptune, and Praetor of the Twelfth Legion Fulminata He assists the heroes in the Tyrant's Tomb, where he burns his stick of life killing Triumvirate emperor Caligula.
- "The Trials of Apollo". www.penguin.co.uk.
- "Rick Riordan". www.penguin.co.nz.
- "Rick Riordan". www.penguin.com.au.
- "Rick Riordan announces 'Trials of Apollo' series set in Percy Jackson's world". Hypable. October 6, 2015. Retrieved September 6, 2016.
- Riordan, Rick (May 11, 2016). "The Hidden Oracle!". RickRiordan.com. Rick Riordan. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- "'Trials of Apollo' book 2 info revealed on heels of 'Hidden Oracle' release". Hypable. May 5, 2016. Retrieved September 19, 2016.
- Riordan, Rick (2016). The Hidden Oracle. Los Angeles: Disney-Hyperion. ISBN 9781484732748.
- "The Dark Prophecy – Rick Riordan". rickriordan.com. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- http://rickriordan.com/series/the-trials-of-apollo/ The Rick Riordan official website
- Holub, Christian. "Exclusive: Read the first two chapters of Rick Riordan's next 'Trials of Apollo' book, 'The Tyrant's Tomb'". EW.com (7 March 2019). Retrieved 28 March 2019.
- "From Percy Jackson: Camp Half-Blood Confidential (An Official Rick Riordan Companion Book): Your Real Guide to the Demigod Training Camp (Trials of Apollo)". Amazon. Retrieved March 31, 2017.