Travaris Robinson (born September 1, 1981) is an American football coach and former player. He is currently the defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach at the University of South Carolina. He played college football at Auburn University. Thereafter, he played professionally for the Atlanta Falcons and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the NFL.
|Born||September 1, 1981|
|Alma mater||Auburn University|
|2004||Tampa Bay Buccaneers|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|2008||Western Kentucky (DB)|
|2009||Southern Miss (CB)|
|2010||Texas Tech (DB)|
|2016–present||South Carolina (DC/DB)|
College and professional playing careerEdit
Robinson received an athletic scholarship to attend Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama, where he played defensive back for coach Tommy Tuberville's Auburn Tigers football team from 1999 to 2002 (under defensive coordinators John Lovett and Gene Chizik). He played in 48 games at free safety, while helping the Tigers win three consecutive Southeastern Conference (SEC) West Division championships. During his senior season, Robinson was selected the Most Valuable Player of the Iron Bowl and was a first-team AP all-SEC selection after collecting 92 total tackles, intercepting four passes and breaking up three others. The Tigers went on to defeat Penn State in the 2003 Capital One Bowl on New Year's Day and finished ranked in the top 20 in both the final Associated Press and Coaches' polls. He then played for three seasons for the NFL's Atlanta Falcons and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, before returning to Auburn and earning his bachelor's degree in Communications in 2006.
Robinson began his coaching career in 2006 at Auburn under head coach Tommy Tuberville and defensive coordinator Will Muschamp as a defensive graduate assistant and staff assistant. He helped the Tigers finish with back-to-back top-15 rankings (No. 8 in 2006 and No. 14 in 2007).
After two seasons at Auburn, Robinson took his first full-time position with Western Kentucky for one season before becoming cornerbacks coach at Southern Miss in 2009. His former college head coach, Tommy Tuberville, hired Robinson to serve as defensive backs coach at Texas Tech in 2010.
- "2 coaches leave Western Kentucky football program". Sporting News. 2009-02-16. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- "Southern Miss Names Travaris Robinson Assistant Football Coach". Southern Miss. 2009-02-19. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- "Former Auburn player Travaris Robinson expected to join Tommy Tuberville's staff at Texas Tech". Birmingham News. 2010-01-14. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- "Muschamp Names Five To Coaching Staff". GatorZone.com. 2011-01-02. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- "Tech DBs coach leaves to join Florida staff". Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. 2011-01-02. Retrieved 2011-01-02.