Transfermarkt is a German-based[1] website owned by Axel Springer SE that has footballing information, such as scores, results, statistics, transfer news, and fixtures.[2] According to the IVW, it is in the top 25 most visited German websites, and one of the largest sport websites after[3]

Transfermarkt logo.png
Available inTransfermarkt India
Transfermarkt Spain
Transfermarkt Russia
Transfermarkt Brasil
Transfermarkt Italia
Transfermarkt US & Canada
Transfermarkt Turkey
Transfermarkt Malaysia
Transfermarkt Netherlands
Transfermarkt Indonesia
Transfermarkt Japan
Transfermarkt South Africa
Transfermarkt Argentina
Transfermarkt Columbia
Transfermarkt Mexico
Transfermarkt Portugal
Transfermarkt Belgium
Transfermarkt France
Transfermarkt Austria
Transfermarkt Swiss
Transfermarkt Poland
Transfermarkt UK
HeadquartersHamburg, Germany
Country of originGermany
OwnerMatthias Seidel
Axel Springer SE
Created byMatthias Seidel
Founder(s)Matthias Seidel
CEOMatthias Seidel
ParentAxel Springer SE
LaunchedMay 2000; 22 years ago (May 2000)
Current statusActive

The website has scores, results, transfer news, fixtures, and player values. Despite the player values, along with some other facts, being estimates,[4] researchers from the Centre for Economic Performance have found that the "rumours" of player transfers are largely accurate.[5]

These estimated player values are usually updated every few months, considering how the association football market works, these estimates might be slightly lower or higher than what a players' current form and therefore current value might suggest.


The website was founded in May 2000, by Matthias Seidel to track players and transfer targets for SV Werder Bremen before expanding to other teams. The website initially focused on players, but gradually expanded to include managers, agents, and other staff.[6] In 2008, Axel Springer publishing house acquired a 51% share in the website. Seidel kept the other 49% of the shares.[7] The English-language version started in 2009.[6]

On 19 May 2014, a relaunch took place for the so-called update to 'version 4'. In the course of this update there were both server-technical as well as data-legal issues, as private data was visible to other users for an indefinite period of time.[8] For 48 hours the site had only a very limited availability, resulting in multiple complaints on Facebook.[9] The biggest criticisms from users was the confusing new design. As a result, publicly apologized for the incidents and issues that were caused during the relaunch.[10]

As of 2021, the website has 39 million unique monthly visitors and 680,000 registered users.[6]


  1. ^ "Report for | Norton Safe Web". Retrieved 26 May 2013.
  2. ^ "The Football Portal for the Premier League and Transfer Rumour Forum". Retrieved 26 May 2013.
  3. ^ Schröder, Jens (8 September 2010). "Online-IVW: Sport gewinnt, News verliert" [Online-IVW: Sport wins, News loses]. Retrieved 27 July 2013.
  4. ^ Ahrens, Peter (6 August 2010). "Bundesliga-Transfers: Magie des Pinkepinke-Plans" [Bundesliga transfers: Magic of the dough plan] (in German). Spiegel Online. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
  5. ^ Bryson, Alex; Frick, Bernd; Simmons, Rob (September 2009). "The Returns to Scarce Talent: Footedness and Player Remuneration in European Soccer" (PDF). Retrieved 26 July 2013.
  6. ^ a b c Smith, Rory (12 August 2021). "The Wisdom of the Crowd". The New York Times. Retrieved 12 August 2021.
  7. ^ "Axel Springer übernimmt Mehrheit an Deutschlands größter Fußball-Community" [Axel Springer acquires majority stake in Germany's biggest football community]. 23 September 2008. Retrieved 27 July 2013.
  8. ^ Linder, Armin (20 May 2014). "Daten-Leck bei" [Data leak on] (in German). Retrieved 23 July 2014.
  9. ^ Wietlisbach, Oliver (20 May 2014). "Am Montag lancierte "Transfermarkt" seine neue Website. Dabei ging schief, was schief gehen konnte. Sogar private Nachrichten waren plötzlich für andere einsehbar" [On Monday "Transfermarket" launched a new website. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Even private messages were suddenly visible to others.] (in German). Retrieved 23 July 2014.
  10. ^ Seidel, Matthias (23 May 2014). "Transfermarkt sagt Entschuldigung" [Transfermarkt apologizes] (in German). Retrieved 23 July 2014.

External linkEdit

  Media related to Transfermarkt at Wikimedia Commons