Transdev Wellington is the operator of Wellington's Metlink rail network in New Zealand. The entity is a partnership of Transdev Australasia and Hyundai Rotem, who were awarded the contract to operate and maintain the commuter rail system in December 2015 by the Greater Wellington Regional Council. The contract commenced on 3 July 2016, taking over from KiwiRail division Tranz Metro.
|Locale||Wellington Region, New Zealand|
|Transit type||Suburban rail|
|Number of lines||5|
|Began operation||3 July 2016|
|System length||160 km (99 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
|Electrification||1500V DC (101 km)|
The Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) put the contract for the operation of Wellington's metropolitan commuter rail services out to tender in 2015. Bids were received from a Keolis Downer/Kiwi Rail joint venture, Serco and a Transdev Australasia/Hyundai Rotem joint venture. In December 2015, the Transdev Australasia/Hyundai Rotem joint venture was announced as the preferred bidder.
The contract runs for nine years from 1 July 2016. The contract has two three-year extension options, taking its potential total length to 15 years. Extensions are subject to the achievement of performance targets including on-time performance and customer satisfaction. GWRC stated that the contract is to provide savings to ratepayers of around $100m over the 15 years.
In November 2017, the first strike on Wellington's network in 24 years occurred.
Most rolling stock used on the Wellington suburban network is owned by the GWRC and leased to the current operator. The fleet comprises:
- 83 FP/FT "Matangi" class electric multiple units (Johnsonville, Hutt Valley, Kapiti and Melling lines)
- 18 SW class carriages (Wairarapa Connection)
- 6 SE class carriages (Wairarapa Connection)
- 1 AG class baggage/generator van (Wairarapa Connection)
- "Transdev Hyundai Rotem Announced Preferred Bidder to operate Greater Wellington Rail Network". Transdev Australasia. Archived from the original on 26 January 2016. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- "Transdev signs Wellington operating contract". Railway Gazette International. 17 March 2016. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Wellington trains grind to halt as rail workers strike". Stuff.co.nz. 16 November 2017. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- Maxwell, Joel (16 March 2016). "Transdev signs on the dotted line to run Wellington rail network for 15 years". The Dominion Post. Retrieved 18 March 2016.