Traffic (2016 film)
Traffic is a 2016 Indian Hindi-language road thriller film directed by Rajesh Pillai. It is a remake of the 2011 Malayalam film of same name. Originally written by brothers Bobby and Sanjay, the film's screenplay has been adapted into Hindi by Suresh Nair, while the dialogues were penned by Piyush Mishra. The cinematography is by Santhosh Thundiyil and music is by Mithoon. The film features an ensemble cast consisting of Manoj Bajpayee, Jimmy Sheirgill, Prosenjit Chatterjee, Parambrata Chatterjee, Divya Dutta, Amol Parashar and debutant Richa Panai. The film was released on 6 May 2016 to positive reviews.
|Directed by||Rajesh Pillai|
|Produced by||Deepak Dhar
|Screenplay by||Suresh Nair|
|Story by||Bobby Sanjay|
|Edited by||Nishant Radhakrishnan,
|Distributed by||Fox Star Studios|
|Budget||₹ 9 crore|
|Box office||est.₹ 11.65 crore|
The story of Traffic, takes place over the course of a single day and is inspired by a real-life incident from Chennai, as shown in the credits. In Pune, superstar Dev Kapoor's daughter is sick and needs an urgent heart transplant. Elsewhere in Mumbai, trainee journalist Rehan meets with an accident and is declared clinically dead. Rehan's parents decide to donate his heart to Dev's daughter. However, rains and low visibility conditions make it impossible to transport the heart by air and the only option is to traverse the 150 km by road. Though initially apprehensive, Joint Traffic Commissioner Gurbir Singh accepts the challenge and seeks a volunteer from among his men to drive at 120 km/h with Tata Safari Storme, through the busy Mumbai streets. Disgraced traffic constable Godbole (who has just rejoined the force after being suspended for taking a bribe to help his sister) puts up his hand and thus begins the journey. He is joined by Rehan's friend Rajeev and Dr Abel, a surgeon, who is battling his own personal demons.
The movie is a remake of Rajesh Pillai's Malayalam thriller of the same name. Traffic has been released after a long delay. Unfortunately, director Rajesh Pillai and Jishnu Raghavan died before he could see the fruit of his efforts onscreen.
- Ulka Gupta as Ria, Dev Kapoor's daughter
- Manoj Bajpayee as Ramdas Godbole, constable Mumbai Traffic Police
- Jimmy Sheirgill as Gurbir Singh, Joint Commissioner (Traffic), Mumbai Police
- Prosenjit Chatterjee as superstar Dev Kapoor
- Parambrata Chatterjee Dr Abel Fernandes, cardiac surgeon
- Jishnu Raghavan as Abel's friend, Hemaan (deceased)
- Vishal Singh as Rehan Ali, journalist trainee
- Sachin Khedekar as Ahmed Ali, Rehan's father
- Kitu Gidwani as Rehan's mother
- Amol Parashar as Rajeev, Rehan's friend
- Sija Rose as Rehan's friend and Rajeev's girlfriend
- Kaveri Kalyani as Maria, Abel's sister
- Divya Dutta as Maya, Dev Kapoor's wife
- Divyaa Unni as Godbole's wife
- Nikita Thukral as Rehan's girlfriend
- Richa Panai as Shweta, Abel's wife
- Baby Annie as Godbole's Daughter
- Janeshwar Shukla as Dr. A. Dastur, cardiac surgeon
- Jasbir Jassi Singh Thandi as Traffic Police constable
- Sandra S.Jaichandran
- Tuhin Chakrabarty
- Rajesh Khattar
- Vikram Gokhale as a Dr. Simon D'Souza, Head, Aditya Birla Hospital-Mumbai
The supporting cast includes Ann Zibi, Amit Roy, Manuj Bhaskar, Raj Arjun, Syed Zafar Ali, Leena Panchal, Talib Mehdi,Satyajeet Bhattacharya, Ritika Murthy, Sheron Kurian A., Raj Gopal Iyer, Ritesh Raghuvanshi, Sanjay Gurubaxani, Mohd Rashid Ghaswala, Vijay Sanap, Manish Sharma, Harish Shashi Nair, Santosh Krishnan, Shahrukh B Sadri, Sandeep Singh Chopra, Premchand Singh, Gunjan Khare, Sagar Kale, Avesh Khan, Amit Shukla, Raj Singh, Ajay Arya, Nidha Bhat and Sameer Gogate
Endemol India that has produced several local television shows ventured into feature films, after they acquired the remake rights for the Malayalam film Traffic. Rajesh Pillai who directed the film in Malayalam was retained as director too. Suresh Nair did the Hindi adaptation of the script of Traffic, stating "slight enhancements have been made in the feel and action content, to ensure commercial viability. But the script still remains the brilliant script that the original is".
Two Bengali actors, Parambrata Chatterjee and Prosenjit Chatterjee were also signed in. The director confirmed that Manoj Bajpai would play the role of a constable, Parambrata Chatterjee would play a doctor and Prosenjit Chatterjee would play a superstar.
Rajesh Pillai confirmed that Nikita Thukral was [clarification needed] for a role, the role played by Sandhya in Malayalam and which was offered to Vishakha first. Richa Panai was [clarification needed] in September 2013 and she will be paired with Parambrata in the film. In November 2013, it was reported that Malayali actress Kaveri would reprise the role portrayed by Roma Asrani but that she will portray a mature and introvert personality as opposed to a bubbly Miriam from the original.
Pillai stated that the film would be entirely shot on the Mumbai Pune Expressway and Hyderabad. In late August, the first schedule had been completed at Hyderabad. The final schedule started on 2 September at Mumbai.
Meena Iyer of The Times of India gave it 4 stars out of 5, describing film as a well-intentioned movie with fine performances from its ensemble cast. Anna MM Vetticad of Firstpost quoted that it is Needless messaging which spoils this Manoj Bajpayee-starrer. Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express gave it 2 stars out of 5, and quoted that Crispness and the sense of urgency is missing in movie. Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV gave it 4 stars out of 5, describing the film as a fitting swan song: an unmissable film.
Sweta Kaushal of Hindustan Times gave it 4 stars out of 5, titled that A Tight script, stellar performances make it a must-watch. Prarthna Sarkar of International Business Times gave it 3 stars out of 5, describing it as a must watch. Namarta Joshi of The Hindu quoted 'Traffic' wears thin, feels rushed. There is neither much of an emotional tug nor an edge-of-the-seat urgency that the film promised to deliver. Sukanya Verma from Rediff.com gave it 2 stars out of 5, said movie is muddled and lacklustre in its set-up. Bollywood Hungama gave it 2 stars out of 5. Nandini Ramnath of Scroll.in said that the remake of the Malayalam hit loses the essence of the original and movie titled 'Traffic' goes nowhere.
|1.||"Keh Bhi De"||Turaz||Mithoon||Benny Dayal & Palak Muchhal||6:10|
|2.||"Neki Ki Raahon Mein"||Mithoon||Mithoon||Arijit Singh||4:59|
|3.||"Kuch Der Sahi"||Mithoon||Mithoon||Palak Muchhal||6:39|
|4.||"Vitthala Naam"||Jitendra Joshi||Shailendra Barve||Prasenjit Kosambi||4:56|
|5.||"Tu Alvida"||Mithoon||Aakanksha Sharma||5:10|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|Award||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result||Ref.|
|9th Mirchi Music Awards||Upcoming Female Vocalist of The Year||Aakanksha Sharma - "Tu Alvida"||Nominated|||
- "Traffic - Movie - Box Office India". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "Traffic - Movie - Box Office India". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- Mehul S Thakkar (2013-04-17). "Manoj Bajpai to star in Traffic's Hindi remake — Times Of India". Mumbai Mirror. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Richa Panai heads to Bollywood". Business Standard. 19 September 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Endemol India enters film production". Variety. 2011-05-17. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- Kirpalani, Neha (2011-05-17). "Endemol acquires Hindi remake rights to Malayalam film Traffic". Businessofcinema.com. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Traffic set for Hindi remake". Hindustan Times. 2011-09-11. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Suresh is writing 'Traffic' rules". Deccan Chronicle. 2013-08-23. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Parambrata plays a doctor in 'Traffic'". Indian Express. 2013-05-03. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Divya bags a role in the Hindi remake of 'Traffic' - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-08-06. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Kaveri to make a comeback in a Bollywood film! - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Traffic remake takes off". Indian Express. 2013-08-09. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Nikita Thukral in Hindi remake of 'Traffic'". Business Standard. 2013-08-28. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "MMS Girl Richa Panai Heading To Bollywood — Oneindia Entertainment". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Traffic, Story, Trailers - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "Benedict Cumberbatch's best roles pre-Doctor Strange, Sherlock: Throwback Thursday". Firstpost.com. 3 November 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "Traffic movie review: Crispness and the sense of urgency is missing in this Manoj Bajpayee starrer". Indian Express. 6 May 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "Traffic Movie Review". Movies.ndtv.com. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "Traffic review: Tight script, stellar performances make it a must-watch". Hindustan Times. 6 May 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- Sarkar, Prarthna. "'Traffic' movie review: This Manoj Bajpayee-starrer makes your heart beat faster". Ibtimes.co.in. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "Traffic: Characters in search of redemption". Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "Traffic Review: Bumpy ride to half-hearted glory". Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- Hungama, Bollywood. "Traffic Review - Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "Traffic - Jukebox | Full Album | Manoj Bajpayee, Kitu Gidwani & Jimmy Shergill". Youtube. 2 May 2016. Retrieved 3 July 2016.
- "MMA Mirchi Music Awards". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 2018-03-26.