Town of Victoria Park
The Town of Victoria Park is a local government area of Western Australia. It covers an area of 17.62 km² in metropolitan Perth, the capital of Western Australia. The Town of Victoria Park maintains 154.55 km of roads and a little over 1 km² of parks and gardens. It had a population of approximately 35,000 as at the 2016 Census.
|Town of Victoria Park|
|• Density||1,985.8/km2 (5,143.2/sq mi)|
|Area||17.62 km2 (6.8 sq mi)|
|Council seat||Victoria Park|
|Region||South Metropolitan Perth|
|State electorate(s)||Victoria Park, South Perth|
|Website||Town of Victoria Park|
It lies on the southern side of the Swan River, at the eastern end of the Perth CBD, and is connected to Fremantle and South Perth via Canning Highway; to the Perth CBD by Graham Farmer Freeway and The Causeway; to Belmont and Perth Airport by Great Eastern Highway and to Cannington by Shepperton Road and Albany Highway. The Perth-Armadale rail line passes through Burswood and forms the eastern boundaries of Lathlain and Carlisle.
The Town of Victoria Park is bounded on the east by the City of Belmont, on the south by the City of Canning on the west by the City of South Perth and on the north by City of Vincent and the City of Perth.
Victoria Park first had its own local government between 1894 and 1917. The Victoria Park Road District was established on 17 May 1894. The road district was reconstituted as the Municipality of Victoria Park on 30 April 1897, but was amalgamated into the City of Perth on 1 November 1917.
The modern Town of Victoria Park was established as the Town of Shepperton on 1 July 1994 as a result of the Government of Western Australia having decided to split up part of the City of Perth and create three new municipalities: the Town of Shepperton, Town of Vincent and the Town of Cambridge. The Town of Shepperton was renamed Victoria Park on 2 November 1994.
The town is divided into two wards along Shepperton Road, each with four councillors:
- Banksia Ward (previously the Carlisle Ward)
- Jarrah Ward (previously the Victoria Park Ward)
The councillors for the Banksia Ward are:
- Claire Anderson
- Ronhhda Potter
- Wilfred Hendriks
- TBA February 2020
The councillors for the Jarrah Ward are:
- Brian Oliver
- Bronwyn Ife (Deputy Mayor)
- Vicki Potter
- Jesvin Karimi
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Victoria Park (T)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2017-18". Australian Bureau of Statistics. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 31 December 2019. Estimated resident population (ERP) at 30 June 2018.
- "Municipality Boundary Amendments Register" (PDF). Western Australian Electoral Distribution Commission. Retrieved 11 January 2020.
- "Friday, May 18, 1894" (PDF). Government Gazette of Western Australia. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
- Your mayor and councillors