Town of Claremont
The Town of Claremont is a local government area in the inner western suburbs of the Western Australian capital city of Perth, located about halfway between the port city of Fremantle and Perth's central business district. The Town covers an area of 4.9 square kilometres (1.9 sq mi), maintains 48 km of roads and 87 km of footpaths, and has a population of approximately 10,000 as at the 2016 Census.
|Town of Claremont|
|Population||10,054 (2016 census)|
|• Density||2,052/km2 (5,310/sq mi)|
|Area||4.9 km2 (1.9 sq mi)|
|Region||West Metropolitan Perth|
|State electorate(s)||Nedlands, Cottesloe|
|Website||Town of Claremont|
The Claremont Municipal District was created on 17 June 1898 out of parts of the Claremont Road District. On 1 July 1961, Claremont became a town following the enactment of the Local Government Act 1960.
The Town is divided into 3 wards, each electing three councillors. The mayor is directly elected.
- South Ward
- West Ward
- East Ward
The Claremont Showgrounds is home each year to the annual Perth Royal Show in September–October. Claremont railway station is located adjacent to the Town's main shopping area, which consists of cafes and street shopping in Bay View Terrace and St Quentin's Avenue, as well as the Claremont Quarter shopping centre. Claremont Oval is used for Australian Rules football, and there is a par-three golf course at Lake Claremont. Other landmarks include several private schools: Scotch College, Methodist Ladies' College and Christ Church Grammar School.
On 18 November 2010 the heritage listed Council Chambers were gutted by fire. The fire which started in the local library at the rear of the buildings spread through the offices and chambers, causing millions of dollars worth of damage.
- AmpFest, Youth and music festival overseen by the Town of Claremont
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Claremont (T)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- WA Electoral Commission, Municipality Boundary Amendments Register (release 3.0), 31 July 2007.
- "Fire destroys Claremont Council offices". PerthNow. The Sunday Times. 19 November 2010. Retrieved 19 November 2010.
- "Fire guts Claremont council and library". 720 ABC Perth. ABC Radio. 19 November 2010. Retrieved 19 November 2010.
- Thomas, Beatrice (19 November 2010). "Fire destroys Claremont council offices". The West Australian. Retrieved 19 November 2010.