This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)
Towaco is a train station on New Jersey Transit's Montclair-Boonton Line in the Towaco section of Montville Township, New Jersey. The station is located on U.S. Route 202 and Whitehall Roads in Montville.
|Owned by||NJ Transit|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Connections|| NJT Bus: 871|
(limited Lakeland service)
|Opened||September 12, 1870 (freight service)|
December 14, 1870 (passenger service)
|Previous names||Whitehall (–1905)|
|2017||80 (average weekday)|
The station was first opened by the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad as Whitehall. Renamed to Towaco in 1905, a new depot was built in 1924 by the railroad with help from architect F.G. Neiss. The depot replaced one built in the 1910s and demolished in 1970. NJ Transit rebuilt the structure in 2000.
The station has a single side platform on a single track, facing eastward. There are also two parking lots with 220 spots for free use. There is also a 600-square-foot (56 m2) shelter on the platform for riders.
|Outbound/Inbound||← Montclair-Boonton Line PM rush hours toward Hackettstown (Boonton) |
Montclair-Boonton Line AM rush hours toward Hoboken or New York (Lincoln Park) →
|Side platform, doors will open on the left or right|
|Street level||Ticket machine and parking|
- Florio, Patricia (2017). Images of America: Montville Township: Celebrating 150 Years. Mount Pleasant, South Carolina: Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 9781467126403.
- Lyon, Isaac S. (1873). Historical Discourse on Boonton, Delivered Before the Citizens of Boonton at Washington Hall, on the Evenings of September 21 and 28, and October 5, 1867. Newark, New Jersey: The Daily Journal Office. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- "Montclair-Boonton Line Timetables" (PDF). Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. November 7, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- Taber, Thomas Townsend; Taber, Thomas Townsend III (1981). The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad in the Twentieth Century. 2. Muncy, PA: Privately printed. p. 766. ISBN 0-9603398-3-3.
- Arch, Brad (January 1982). "The Morris and Essex Railroad" (PDF). Journal of New Jersey Postal History Society. X (1): 4–8. Retrieved April 14, 2020.
- Lyon 1873, p. 55.
- Florio 2017, p. 81.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS" (PDF). New Jersey Transit. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 27, 2012. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- "How Many Riders Use NJ Transit's Hoboken Train Station?". Hoboken Patch. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- Yanosey, Robert J. (2007). Lackawanna Railroad Facilities (In Color). 1:Hoboken to Dover. Scotch Plains, New Jersey: Morning Sun Books Inc. pp. 52–53, 80. ISBN 1-58248-214-4.
- Pope, Clementina (September 12, 1999). "Towaco Train Station Work to Begin". The Daily Record. p. 17. Retrieved April 29, 2018 – via Newspapers.com.
Media related to Towaco (NJT station) at Wikimedia Commons