Tosca Musk (born 1974) is a South African filmmaker. She is a producer and director of feature films, television programs and web content. Her web series, Tiki Bar TV, and Hallmark television movie, Holiday Engagement have garnered some attention, with Holiday Engagement setting records for the most-watched television movie on Hallmark. She is the sister of entrepreneurs Elon and Kimbal Musk.
Tosca Musk in 2008
|Born||1974 (age 43–44)|
|Occupation||Founder of Musk Entertainment|
|Parent(s)||Errol Musk (father)
Maye Musk (mother)
|Relatives||Elon Musk (brother)
Kimbal Musk (brother)
Lyndon Rive (cousin)
Musk produced and directed her first feature film, Puzzled with Musk Entertainment. Elon Musk was the film's executive producer. Soon thereafter, Musk produced the feature film, The Truth About Miranda, since followed by over a dozen features, television movies and series, including the teen horror film, Cruel World, the UK feature, The Heavy and the television drama, We Have Your Husband. In 2011, Musk produced three more television movies which aired on Lifetime and Hallmark in early 2012.
In 2005, Musk partnered with Jeff Macpherson to produce the web series, Tiki Bar TV. That same year, during the Macworld 2005 Keynote presentation (which introduced the iPod with Video) Steve Jobs showcased Tiki Bar TV to the audience as an example of a Video Podcast (a relatively new media format at the time) which could be loaded to the new video iPod using Apple's iTunes software. The next day, Tiki Bar TV moved to the number one slot in the iTunes Podcast charts, and as such Tiki Bar TV became one of the first user-generated programs to gain worldwide popularity via the iTunes distribution model.
Musk's Tiki Bar TV has been featured in Wired magazine, as well as in other media outlets. In July 2006, the show was featured in a profile on Jeff Macpherson in Forbes Magazine Celebrity 100 Issue as “one of the first breakout stars in the world of Internet television”.
Musk is the co-founder of the streaming platform startup Passionflix, alongside partner Joany Kane. She has directed several feature films for the platform based on best selling romance novels, including The Matchmaker's Playbook and Hollywood Dirt.
Awards and recognitionEdit
Musk’s family feature, Country Remedy won nine awards, including three Best Picture Awards, the Audience Award and the Spirit Award at the International Family Film Festival. Tiki Bar TV was the number one downloaded video on iTunes for over 3 months upon initial release and is still considered a web series pioneer. The series also won awards for best Art Direction/Set Design.
Musk is a mother of twins.
- Kee, Tameka (19 May 2009). "paidContent.org - Tiki Bar TV Tests The Pay-To-Watch Webisode Model". The Washington Post. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- Robert Seidman (November 30, 2011). "Hallmark Channel Closes Out November on Top Continuing to Deliver The #1 & #2 Movies of the Week". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- Allum, Cynthia (11 May 2015). "Meet Maye Musk, mom of innovator and futurist Elon Musk". nytlive.nytimes.com. Retrieved 1 August 2016.
- Murray, Billy (20 November 2015). "THE UNTOLD STORY OF TOSCA MUSK AND THE RISE OF INTERNET TELEVISION". resourcemagonline.com. Resource Magazine. Retrieved 1 August 2016.
- "Puzzled (2001)". IMDb. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- "Tosca Musk: Producer/Founder". Musk Entertainment. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- "Macworld 2005 Keynote presentation". Apple Inc. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- Blum, Matt. "Top 9 Ways to Celebrate Middle-Earth Day (GeekDad Wayback Machine)". Wired. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- "Doctor! I need a triple". canada.com. January 30, 2006. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- Heather Green (January 23, 2006). "Is the Web the New Hollywood?". Bloomberg Business Week. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- Scott Woolley (3 July 2006). "Who Needs a Network?". Forbes. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- "Tosca Musk Launches Streaming Service That Celebrates The Female Gaze - Tubefilter". Tubefilter. 2018-02-01. Retrieved 2018-04-20.
- "Tosca Musk raises $4.75M for Passionflix, a streaming service that's all about romance – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-04-20.
- "1st Annual Nominees & Winners". The Steamy Awards. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- Colleen Leahey (22 November 2013). "Elon Musk's mom on raising the Businessperson of the Year". fortune.com. Retrieved 1 August 2016.