Tornadoes of 2019
This page documents notable tornadoes and tornado outbreaks worldwide in 2019. Strong and destructive tornadoes form most frequently in the United States, Brazil, Bangladesh and Eastern India, but can occur almost anywhere under the right conditions. Tornadoes also develop occasionally in southern Canada during the Northern Hemisphere's summer and somewhat regularly at other times of the year across Europe, Asia, Argentina and Australia. Tornadic events are often accompanied with other forms of severe weather, including strong thunderstorms, strong winds, and hail.
Touchdown locations of confirmed tornadoes In the United States in 2019 by EF rating as of January 30
|Timespan||January 1 – Ongoing|
|Maximum rated tornado||F4 tornado|
|Tornadoes in U.S.||27|
There have been 28 preliminary reports of tornadoes in the United States in 2019, of which at least 27 have been confirmed. Eight tornado-related deaths have been confirmed worldwide; six in Cuba and two in Turkey.
United States yearly totalEdit
There were 18 tornadoes reported in United States in January; however, 19 have been confirmed.
A small tornado outbreak impacted the Deep South on January 19. Five weak tornadoes struck Mississippi and Louisiana in the morning hours, including an EF1 tornado that destroyed a trailer and caused severe roof damage to surrounding homes northeast of Franklinton, Louisiana. A high-end EF2 tornado caused significant structural damage in Wetumpka, Alabama. The First Presbyterian Church was destroyed and another church, the police station, and several homes were severely damaged. Four people were injured. The rating of the tornado is subject to change pending further analysis. An EF1 tornado near Booth, Alabama destroyed a trailer, injuring two people inside. Three other EF1 tornadoes touched down in Alabama and the Florida Panhandle.
January 24 (Turkey)Edit
On January 24, Turkey was impacted by three tornadoes. Two people were killed and 11 injured by an F2 tornado in Antalya Province, while an F1 tornado injured an additional person in Antalya Province. An F1 tornado also impacted Muğla Province, causing damage but no injuries.
January 28 (Cuba)Edit
An F4 tornado struck the eastern side of Havana, Cuba's capital city. The tornado caused extensive damage, destroying at least 90 homes, killing four people and injuring 195. By February 4 the death toll had increased to six, with 11 people still in critical condition.
There have been ten tornadoes reported in the United States in February, of which at least eight have been confirmed.
- List of tornado outbreaks
- List of F5 and EF5 tornadoes
- List of North American tornadoes and tornado outbreaks
- List of 21st-century Canadian tornadoes and tornado outbreaks
- List of European tornadoes and tornado outbreaks
- List of tornadoes and tornado outbreaks in Asia
- List of Southern Hemisphere tornadoes and tornado outbreaks
- List of tornadoes striking downtown areas
- Tornado intensity
- "Annual Severe Weather Report Summary 2019". Storm Prediction Center. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- NWS Damage Survey For January 19th Tornado Event (Report). Iowa Environmental Mesonet. National Weather Service Weather Forecast Office in New Orleans, Louisiana. January 20, 2019. Retrieved January 20, 2019.
- NWS Damage Survey For January 19th Tornado Event (Report). Iowa Environmental Mesonet. National Weather Service Weather Forecast Office in Birmingham, Alabama. January 21, 2019. Retrieved January 20, 2019.
- "Tornado damages 2 churches, police station and 25+ homes in Alabama town". Associate Press. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Damage from EF2 tornado reported in Wetumpka, Alabama". AccuWeather. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- "NWS Damage Survey for 1/19/2019 Tornado Event". Iowa Environmental Mesonet. National Weather Service Office in Tallahassee, Florida. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Turkey Slammed by Storms, Tornadoes That Kill 2, Injure Dozens". Retrieved January 28, 2019.
- "Tornado in Turkish Mediterranean kills 2, injures 11". Retrieved January 28, 2019.
- "Havana tornado: Cuba's capital hit by rare twister". BBC News. Retrieved 28 January 2019.
- Cappucci, Matthew (28 January 2019). "A deadly tornado plowed through Havana on Sunday night. Here's how it happened". The Washington Post. Retrieved 29 January 2019.
- "Death Toll Rises to Six From Rare Havana Tornado". Weather Underground. 4 February 2019. Retrieved 5 February 2019.
|This article related to a specific weather event is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|