Tony LeonDre Wroten Jr. (born April 13, 1993) is an American professional basketball player for Anwil Włocławek of the Polish Basketball League. He played college basketball for the Washington Huskies, where he was a first-team all-conference selection in the Pac-12 before being drafted by the Memphis Grizzlies with the 25th overall pick in the 2012 NBA draft.
|No. 5 – Anwil Włocławek|
|Position||Point guard / Shooting guard|
|League||Polish Basketball League|
|Born||April 13, 1993|
|Listed height||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Listed weight||205 lb (93 kg)|
|High school||Garfield (Seattle, Washington)|
|NBA draft||2012 / Round: 1 / Pick: 25th overall|
|Selected by the Memphis Grizzlies|
|2017–2018||Rio Grande Valley Vipers|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
- 1 High school career
- 2 College career
- 3 Professional career
- 4 NBA career statistics
- 5 Personal life
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
High school careerEdit
As a freshman at Garfield High School, Wroten averaged 20.8 points, 8.7 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game. He was named to the 2009 All-Washington State Class 4A first team, becoming the first ever freshman to be named to the first team. In his sophomore season, Wroten averaged 17.6 points, 6.4 rebounds and 4.9 assists per game. Wroten was forced to sit out his junior season after an ACL injury in a football game. During his senior season, Wroten averaged 25.0 points, 7.5 rebounds and 4.1 assists per game. He was invited to the 2011 Jordan Brand classic game.
In his freshman season at Washington, Wroten averaged 16.7 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game. This was good enough for him to be named Pac-12 Freshman of the Year and to be named to the All-Pac-12 first team. He was the first ever freshman from Washington to be named to the All-Pac-12 Team. On April 3, 2012 Wroten decided to enter his name in the 2012 NBA Draft, alongside teammate Terrence Ross.
Memphis Grizzlies (2012–2013)Edit
Wroten was selected by the Memphis Grizzlies with the 25th overall pick in the 2012 NBA draft. During his rookie season, he had multiple assignments with the Reno Bighorns of the NBA Development League.
Philadelphia 76ers (2013–2015)Edit
On August 22, 2013, the Grizzlies traded Wroten to the Philadelphia 76ers in exchange for a future second round pick and a trade exception. On November 13, 2013, in his first career start, he recorded his first triple-double with 18 points, 10 rebounds and 11 assists in a 123–117 overtime win over the Houston Rockets. The milestone marked the first time in NBA history that a player produced a triple-double in their first career start. On March 8, 2014, Wroten scored a then career-high 30 points in a loss to the Utah Jazz.
On November 7, 2014, Wroten scored a career-high 31 points in a loss to the Chicago Bulls. On January 23, 2015, he was ruled out for the rest of the 2014–15 season after undergoing surgery on a partially torn ACL in his right knee. He was averaging career-highs in points (16.9), assists (5.2) and steals (1.6) prior to the injury.
On November 11, 2015, Wroten was assigned to the Delaware 87ers of the NBA Development League, sent there to practice as part of his return to play protocol. He was recalled by the 76ers on December 4, using the month-long stint to rehabilitate his ACL tear. He did not appear in a game for Delaware. The following day, he returned to action for the 76ers, playing in his first game for the team since injuring his right knee on January 13. He had four points in 13 minutes against the Denver Nuggets. On December 24, 2015, Wroten was waived by the 76ers.
New York Knicks / Return to Memphis (2016)Edit
Texas Legends (2016–2017)Edit
On December 1, 2016, Wroten was acquired by the Texas Legends. That night, he made his debut for the Legends in a 121–106 win over the Greensboro Swarm, recording 11 points, one rebound and one steal in 19 minutes off the bench. He was later waived by the Legends on January 28, 2017.
Rio Grande Valley Vipers (2017–2018)Edit
On October 21, 2017, Wroten was selected by the Rio Grande Valley Vipers in Round 2 with the 23rd pick in the 2017 NBA Development League Draft. On March 21, 2018, he was waived by the Vipers.
Anwil Włocławek (2019–present)Edit
NBA career statisticsEdit
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
Wroten's father, Tony Sr., played football at the University of Washington and for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. His mother, Shirley, ran track at Washington and at Arizona State University. Shirley still ranks top ten all time for Washington in the 100 meter dash, 100 meter hurdles, and 4 × 100 metres relay. Tony's aunt, Joyce Walker, was a two-time All-American basketball player at Louisiana State University. She was also the third woman to ever play on the Harlem Globetrotters. Tony is also the cousin of former New York Knicks point guard Nate Robinson and former Oregon State University basketball player Jimmie Haywood.
- "Tony Wroten Stats, News, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio". ESPN.com. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- "Tony Wroten Profile". gohuskies.com. Archived from the original on June 3, 2010. Retrieved 27 May 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Tony Wroten Jr. Basketball Stats". maxpreps.com. Archived from the original on June 3, 2010. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Tony Wroten Recruiting Profile". Rivals.com. Retrieved January 23, 2015.
- "Washington's Tony Wroten declares for the NBA Draft". espn.go.com. Archived from the original on June 3, 2010. Retrieved 27 May 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Terrence Ross Declares for NBA Draft". gohuskies.com. Archived from the original on September 10, 2012. Retrieved May 27, 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "2012-13 NBA Assignments". NBA.com. Archived from the original on March 27, 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Grizzlies acquire 2014 second round pick and trade exception from 76ers". NBA.com. August 22, 2013. Archived from the original on December 3, 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Tony Wroten's triple-double, James Anderson's 36 points lead 76ers". ESPN. November 13, 2013. Archived from the original on December 3, 2013. Retrieved November 19, 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Jazz end skid, send 76ers to 16th straight loss". ESPN.com. March 8, 2014. Archived from the original on March 9, 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Dunleavy leads Bulls over 76ers 118-115". NBA.com. November 7, 2014. Retrieved November 9, 2014.
- "Philadelphia 76ers Update On Tony Wroten". NBA.com. January 23, 2015. Retrieved January 23, 2015.
- "Sixers assign Wroten, Marshall to 87ers". Philly.com. November 11, 2015. Retrieved November 11, 2015.
- "Sixers Recall Wroten, Marshall; Waive Pressey". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. December 4, 2015. Retrieved December 4, 2015.
- "Gallinari leads Nuggets past Okafor-less 76ers 108-105". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. December 5, 2015. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- "Sixers Acquire Ish Smith". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. December 24, 2015. Retrieved December 24, 2015.
- "Knicks Sign Wroten". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. March 16, 2016. Retrieved March 16, 2016.
- "Knicks Acquire Derrick Rose". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. June 22, 2016. Retrieved June 26, 2016.
- "Grizzlies claim Tony Wroten off waivers". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. June 27, 2016. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- "Grizzlies waive Tony Wroten". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. July 12, 2016. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- "Grizzlies sign Wayne Selden Jr., D.J. Stephens, Troy Williams and Tony Wroten". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. August 8, 2016. Retrieved August 8, 2016.
- "Grizzlies waive Tony Wroten". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. October 7, 2016. Retrieved October 7, 2016.
- "Legends Acquire Tony Wroten". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. December 1, 2016. Retrieved December 4, 2016.
- "Legends Cruise Past Swarm". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. December 1, 2016. Retrieved December 4, 2016.
- "2016-2017 Texas Legends Transactions History". realgm.com. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- "RGV Vipers Finalize Training Camp Roster". OurSportsCentral.com. October 22, 2017. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- "RGV Vipers Acquire Darius Morris". OurSportsCentral.com. March 21, 2018. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- "Kalev/Cramo toob meeskonda staartagamehe, kelle karjääri NBA-s rikkus põlvevigastus". bckalev.ee (in Estonian). December 28, 2018. Retrieved December 28, 2018.
- "Anwil signs Tony Wroten". Sportando. August 11, 2019. Retrieved August 12, 2019.