Tommy Terrell Kelly (born December 27, 1980) is a former American football defensive lineman and is a coaching intern for the Arizona Cardinals of the National Football League. He played college football at Mississippi State and was signed by the Oakland Raiders as an undrafted free agent in 2004. He played with the Raiders and subsequently a single season each with the New England Patriots and Cardinals before retiring prior to the 2015 season. He now lives in Hernando, Mississippi.
Kelly with the Raiders in 2011
|Born:||December 27, 1980|
|Height:||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight:||310 lb (141 kg)|
|High school:||Jackson (MS) Provine|
|Career NFL statistics|
After a standout basketball career at Jackson's Provine High School, he signed a football scholarship with Mississippi State University, where he played in 22 games and earned 16 starts, making 82 tackles, including 15 for loss and two quarterback sacks. He was signed as a free agent in 2004 by the Oakland Raiders.
After being signed in 2004 by the Oakland Raiders as an undrafted rookie free agent, Tommy Kelly alternated between 3–4 DE and 4–3 DT. In the very few plays that he saw action, he was able to rack up four sacks, including 3 weeks in a row from week 7 through week 9.
In 2005, the Raiders moved away from the 3–4 defense, with Kelly finding a spot as the RE. In week 9 alone, Kelly racked up a total of 3 quarterback sacks—reaching Kansas City veteran Trent Green. In each instance, Kelly had lined up as a DT rather than the RE that he had been playing as previously in the year. By the end of the season, Kelly had a total of 4.5 sacks.
Tommy Kelly appeared in all sixteen games and had a total of 3.5 sacks.
Kelly played in 7 games in 2007, recording 30 tackles and 1 sack before suffering a season ending knee injury while playing against the Tennessee Titans. He was placed on injured reserve by the Oakland Raiders on October 31, 2007.
On February 28, 2008, the Oakland Raiders signed Kelly to the largest contract ever given to a defensive tackle on the eve of free agency. Kelly, a defensive end moving to defensive tackle in 2008, signed a seven-year, $50.5 million contract with $18.125 million in guarantees and $25.125 million in the first three years.
On September 14, 2008, Kelly was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence. Kelly finished the 2008 season with 55 tackles (31 solo) and 4.5 sacks matching his career high set in 2005.
Kelly finished the season with just 55 tackles again (37 solo) and a career low 1 sack.
At the end of the season, Kelly had 60 tackles and 7 sacks and was named as an alternate for the 2010 Pro Bowl.
On opening day of the 2011 NFL season, still at right defensive tackle next to Richard Seymour, he recorded 2 tackles and a sack as the Raiders defeated the Denver Broncos. In week 10, he recorded 3 tackles, a game-ending sack and a forced fumble as the Raiders beat the San Diego Chargers. The next week, when the Raiders won against the Minnesota Vikings, he recorded 3 tackles, two sacks and an interception off of a deflected pass.
On March 27, 2013 Kelly was released from the Oakland Raiders making him a free agent.
New England PatriotsEdit
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
- GP: games played
- COMB: combined tackles
- TOTAL: total tackles
- AST: assisted tackles
- SACK: sacks
- FF: forced fumbles
- FR: fumble recoveries
- FR YDS: fumble return yards
- INT: interceptions
- IR YDS: interception return yards
- AVG IR: average interception return
- LNG: longest interception return
- TD: interceptions returned for touchdown
- PD: passes defensed
- "Tommy Kelly Pro-Football-Reference Profile". rbref.com.
- NFL Game Log
- Inside Bay Area
- NFL Transactions
- Raiders Fan Favorite Tommy Kelly Hasn’t Played Up To Career Expectations
- Oakland Raiders Star Busted for DUI
- Patriots sign Free Agent DL Tommy Kelly
- "DT Tommy Kelly's Season Officially Over; OL Josh Kline Promoted from Practice Squad".
- Patriots reportedly release Tommy Kelly, Will Smith
- Arizona Cardinals on Twitter: #AZCardinals sign DL Tommy Kelly (6-6, 310) to a one-year contract and release DL Ryan McBean.
- "Mathieu's 'journey' enters third season". FOX Sports. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- "Tommy Kelly Stats". Retrieved February 10, 2014.
- "Arizona Cardinals 'locked in' as they report to training camp". arizonasports.com. Retrieved July 22, 2017.