Thomas Andrew Compton (born May 10, 1989) is an American football offensive tackle for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at the University of South Dakota and was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the sixth round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Compton has also played for the Atlanta Falcons, Chicago Bears, and Minnesota Vikings.
Compton with the Atlanta Falcons in 2016
|No. 77 – New York Jets|
|Born:||May 10, 1989|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||308 lb (140 kg)|
|NFL Draft:||2012 / Round: 6 / Pick: 193|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
A native of the suburb Rosemount, Minnesota, Compton attended Rosemount High School, where he was a two-year starter on the offensive line and led the team to the section championship and state semifinals.
At the University of South Dakota, Compton was a three-time Great West Conference selection—honorable mention in 2009 and consecutive first team selections in 2010, 2011—and 2011 GWC Offensive Lineman of the Year. After his senior season, he played at the 2012 East–West Shrine Game.
Compton was invited to the 2012 NFL Combine, where he was listed as the No. 9 offensive guard prospect. Projected as a fourth round selection by Sports Illustrated, Compton was ranked as the No. 8 offensive guard available in the 2012 NFL Draft.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 5 in
|5.11 s||4.60 s||7.59 s||30.0 in
|9 ft 0 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
Compton was drafted in the sixth round of 2012 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins. He was the first South Dakota Coyote drafted since Chul Schwanke in 1986. He was officially signed by the Redskins to a four-year contract on May 6, 2012. Compton was cut on August 31, 2012 for final cuts before the start of the 2012 season. After not being claimed off waivers, he was signed to the team's practice squad the next day.
On December 5, 2012, it was announced that Compton had been promoted to the Redskins 53-man roster after the Redskins placed cornerback Cedric Griffin on the suspended list. He became the starting right tackle midway through the 2014 season, after the incumbent Tyler Polumbus was benched following poor performance.
The Redskins re-signed Compton on February 27, 2015.
In the 2016 season, Compton and the Falcons reached Super Bowl LI, where they faced the New England Patriots on February 5, 2017. In the Super Bowl, the Falcons fell lost 28-34 in overtime, despite having a 25-point lead.
New York JetsEdit
- "View Draft by Positions". CNN.
- NFL Combine Profile
- Fitzgerald, Gary (April 28, 2012). "Redskins Focus On Depth In Late Rounds". Redskins.com. Retrieved April 30, 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on September 27, 2013. Retrieved September 23, 2013.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Jones, Mike (May 6, 2012). "Redskins sign two more draft picks". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- Jones, Mike (August 31, 2012). "Redskins' cutdown day begins". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved August 31, 2012.
- Jones, Mike (September 1, 2012). "Redskins add CB Crezdon Butler to round out 53-man roster". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved September 1, 2012.
- Jones, Mike (December 5, 2012). "Redskins promote rookie T Tom Compton to 53-man roster". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved December 5, 2012.
- Keim, John (October 24, 2014). "Tom Compton in, Tyler Polumbus out at RT". ESPN.com. Retrieved December 23, 2014.
- Keim, John (February 27, 2015). "Redskins re-sign Tom Compton". ESPN.com. Retrieved February 27, 2015.
- Czarda, Stephen (March 15, 2016). "Tom Compton Reportedly Signing With Falcons". Redskins.com. Retrieved March 15, 2016.
- "Falcons sign OT Tom Compton, LB LaRoy Reynolds". ESPN.com. March 16, 2016. Retrieved November 26, 2016.
- "Super Bowl LI - New England Patriots vs. Atlanta Falcons - February 5th, 2017". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved August 6, 2017.
- Mayer, Larry (March 11, 2017). "Bears add WR Wright, OT Compton". ChicagoBears.com.
- Peters, Craig (March 22, 2018). "Vikings Sign Minnesota Native Tom Compton". Vikings.com.
- Greenberg, Ethan (March 18, 2019). "Jets Add Tom Compton to Offensive Line". NewYorkJets.com.