Tom Brady–Peyton Manning rivalry
The Tom Brady–Peyton Manning rivalry is a series of games that took place between 2001 and 2016, involving two quarterbacks in the National Football League (NFL): Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Brady has played for the New England Patriots since 2000, when he was the 199th selection in the sixth round of the 2000 NFL Draft. He has been the starter since 2001, after Drew Bledsoe was injured early in the season, and has been so since, with the exception of 2008, when he tore his ACL in the opening game. Manning was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the 1998 NFL Draft with the number 1 pick, and played for the Colts until a neck injury caused him to miss the entire 2011 season. Prior to the 2012 season, Manning signed with the Denver Broncos, whom he played for up to his retirement following the 2015 season.
Manning and Brady played each other seventeen times. Brady led the head-to-head series 11–6. From 2001–2015, the two quarterbacks met at least once every season, with the following exceptions: the Colts and Patriots, longtime AFC East division rivals from 1970–2001, did not meet in 2002 following the NFL's divisional re-alignment; Brady suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 1 of the 2008 season; Manning missed the entire 2011 season due to recovery from multiple neck surgeries, as well as the 2015 regular-season meeting due to recovery from a torn plantar fascia. Brady led the Colts–Patriots series 8–4 and also led the Broncos–Patriots series 3–2, though Manning's two wins with the Broncos both occurred in the AFC Championships in 2013 and 2015. Brady led the series in Foxborough 8–2 (7–2 at Gillette Stadium), while Manning led the series in Indianapolis/Denver 4–3. The home team won each of the final seven games, with the last road win for either quarterback in the rivalry coming in Brady's 2007 win at Indianapolis.
The two quarterbacks met five times in the NFL Playoffs, in which Manning led the playoff series 3–2. Each of the five games was won by the home team. Brady led 2–1 vs. Manning's Colts' teams, while Manning's Broncos' teams led 2–0. Four of the five matchups were in the AFC Championship Game, with Manning winning three out of four, one with the Colts and two with the Broncos.
|Brady regular-season win||Brady playoff win||Manning regular-season win||Manning playoff win|
Colts vs. PatriotsEdit
|Year||Date||Winner||Result||Loser||Location||Playoff round||Record (playoff)|
|2001||September 30||New England Patriots||44–13||Indianapolis Colts||Foxboro Stadium||-||1–0|
|October 21||New England Patriots||38–17||Indianapolis Colts||RCA Dome||-||2–0|
|2003||November 30||New England Patriots||38–34||Indianapolis Colts||RCA Dome||-||3–0|
|2004||January 18||New England Patriots||24–14||Indianapolis Colts||Gillette Stadium||AFC Championship||4–0 (1–0)|
|2004||September 9||New England Patriots||27–24||Indianapolis Colts||Gillette Stadium||-||5–0 (1–0)|
|2005||January 16||New England Patriots||20–3||Indianapolis Colts||Gillette Stadium||AFC Divisional Round||6–0 (2–0)|
|2005||November 7||Indianapolis Colts||40–21||New England Patriots||Gillette Stadium||-||6–1 (2–0)|
|2006||November 5||Indianapolis Colts||27–20||New England Patriots||Gillette Stadium||-||6–2 (2–0)|
|2007||January 21||Indianapolis Colts||38–34||New England Patriots||RCA Dome||AFC Championship||6–3 (2–1)|
|2007||November 4||New England Patriots||24–20||Indianapolis Colts||RCA Dome||-||7–3 (2–1)|
|2009||November 15||Indianapolis Colts||35–34||New England Patriots||Lucas Oil Stadium||-||7–4 (2–1)|
|2010||November 21||New England Patriots||31–28||Indianapolis Colts||Gillette Stadium||-||8–4 (2–1)|
Broncos vs. PatriotsEdit
|Year||Date||Winner||Result||Loser||Location||Playoff Round||Record (playoff)|
|2012||October 7||New England Patriots||31–21||Denver Broncos||Gillette Stadium||-||9–4 (2–1)|
|2013||November 24||New England Patriots||34–31 (OT)||Denver Broncos||Gillette Stadium||-||10–4 (2–1)|
|2014||January 19||Denver Broncos||26–16||New England Patriots||Sports Authority Field at Mile High||AFC Championship||10–5 (2–2)|
|2014||November 2||New England Patriots||43–21||Denver Broncos||Gillette Stadium||-||11–5 (2–2)|
|2016||January 24||Denver Broncos||20–18||New England Patriots||Sports Authority Field at Mile High||AFC Championship||11–6 (2–3)|
|Player||G||ATT||COMP||PCT||YDS||AVG||YDS/G||TD||INT||LNG||SCK||RATE||RSH YDS||RSH ATT||RSH TD||NFL MVPs|
|Player||G||ATT||COMP||PCT||YDS||AVG||YDS/G||TD||INT||LNG||SCK||RATE||RSH YDS||RSH ATT||RSH TD||SB Wins||SB MVPs|
Note: Brady's statistics are updated as of February 3, 2019, while Manning's statistics are final.
- Armour, Nancy (January 17, 2014). "With other QB rivalries 'not even close,' Manning and Brady square off again". USA Today. Archived from the original on January 1, 2016. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- Hochman, Benjamin (January 19, 2014). "Peyton Manning-Tom Brady ranks among greatest sports rivalries of all time". The Denver Post. Archived from the original on January 20, 2014. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Reineking, Jim (January 21, 2016). "Top Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning games". National Football League. Archived from the original on February 4, 2017. Retrieved February 4, 2017.
- "Full Draft - 2000". Archived from the original on September 6, 2011. Retrieved December 23, 2014.
- Springer, Shira (September 11, 2008). "Brady has both ACL and MCL tears". The Boston Globe. Archived from the original on February 20, 2016. Retrieved February 4, 2017.
- Kelley, Craig (September 7, 2011). "COLLINS TO START". Indianapolis Colts. Archived from the original on February 4, 2017. Retrieved February 4, 2017.
- Perry, Phil (November 9, 2017). "Miller can't stop calling Brady 'the GOAT' even though he thinks Manning was better". NBC Sports. Archived from the original on October 31, 2018. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- "Football's Greatest: Ranking the Top 10 Quarterbacks in NFL History". Sports Illustrated. October 27, 2017. Archived from the original on October 31, 2018. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- Battista, Judy (October 31, 2014). "Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady: One for the ages -- and ageless". National Football League. Archived from the original on April 22, 2017. Retrieved February 4, 2017.
- Donaldson, Jim (January 12, 2014). "Jim Donaldson: Brady-Manning – As good as it gets". Providence Journal. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016. Retrieved February 4, 2017.
- Bender, Bill (October 30, 2014). "By the Numbers: Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning". The Sporting News. Archived from the original on October 1, 2015. Retrieved February 4, 2017.
- Watanabe, Ben (November 2, 2014). "Peyton Manning Admits 'I Stunk' After Tom Brady Claims Rivalry Victory". New England Sports Network. Archived from the original on February 4, 2017. Retrieved February 4, 2017.
- "Peyton Manning Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Archived from the original on October 2, 2018. Retrieved February 11, 2018.
- "Tom Brady Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Archived from the original on February 6, 2018. Retrieved February 11, 2018.