Tom & Viv
Tom & Viv is a 1994 historical drama film directed by Brian Gilbert, based on the 1984 play of the same name by British playwright Michael Hastings about the early love life of American poet T. S. Eliot. The film stars Willem Dafoe, Miranda Richardson, Rosemary Harris, Tim Dutton, and Nickolas Grace.
|Tom & Viv|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Brian Gilbert|
|Produced by||Harvey Kass|
|Screenplay by||Michael Hastings|
|Based on||Tom & Viv|
by Michael Hastings
|Music by||Debbie Wiseman|
|Edited by||Tony Lawson|
|Distributed by||Miramax Films|
The film tells the story of the relationship between T. S. Eliot and his first wife, Vivienne Haigh-Wood Eliot. They were married in 1915 after a brief courtship, and although they separated in 1933, they never divorced.
- Willem Dafoe ... T. S. Eliot
- Miranda Richardson ... Vivienne Haigh-Wood Eliot
- Rosemary Harris ... Rose Robinson Haigh-Wood
- Tim Dutton ... Maurice Haigh-Wood
- Nickolas Grace ... Bertrand Russell
- Geoffrey Bayldon ... Harwent
- Clare Holman ... Louise Purdon
- Philip Locke ... Charles Haigh-Wood
- Joanna McCallum ... Virginia Woolf
- Joseph O'Conor ... Bishop of Oxford
- John Savident ... Sir Frederick Lamb
- Michael Attwell ... W. I. Janes
- Sharon Bower ... Secretary
- Linda Spurrier.... Edith Sitwell
- Roberta Taylor ... Ottoline Morrell
- Christopher Baines ... Verger
The film received mixed reviews, holding a 33% 'rotten' rating on review aggregate Rotten Tomatoes. Owen Gleiberman of Entertainment Weekly praised the performances, but gave the film a B-, saying '[it] is the kind of sodden, tasteful, here-are-a-few-nasty-warts-to-chew-on biography that raises as many dramatic questions as it answers.' Derek Elley of Variety admired the film's artistic aspirations and production values, but called it, 'a handsomely appointed but overly starchy love story that attains real clout only in the final reel.'
- Tom & Viv at Box Office Mojo
- Hastings, Michael. Tom and Viv. Penguin 1985, with an introduction by Hastings.
- "Tom & Viv".
- "Tom and Viv". 17 February 1995.
- Elley, Derek (15 April 1994). "Review: 'Tom & Viv'".
- "Awards for 1994". National Board of Review. Archived from the original on November 25, 2010. Retrieved July 20, 2020.
|This article about a biographical film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|