Together with Cliff Richard
Together with Cliff Richard is a Christmas album by Cliff Richard, released in November 1991. The album features Richard singing popular traditional Christmas songs, his Christmas hits from recent years and two original songs.
|Together with Cliff Richard|
|Studio album by|
|Released||18 November 1991|
|Cliff Richard chronology|
|Singles from Together with Cliff Richard|
The album reached #10 in the UK Albums Chart and #2 in New Zealand. The singles differed between regions. In the UK, "We Should Be Together" reached #10 in the UK Singles Chart in the week of Christmas. It was followed by "This New Year", released just in time for the new year and made #30. In Europe and New Zealand, Richard's cover of the 1950s standard "Scarlet Ribbons" was released as a single, reaching #51 in Germany and #19 in New Zealand.
A companion video of the album with the same title was also released at the same time, featuring all 12 tracks from the album plus Richard's 1960 Christmas hit "I Love You". Each song was filmed on a different set in front of an audience.
- "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (Ralph Blane, Hugh Martin)
- "Venite (O Come All Ye Faithful)" (John Francis Wade)
- "We Should Be Together" (Bruce Roberts)
- "Mistletoe and Wine" (Jeremy Paul, Leslie Stewart, Keith Strachan)
- "Christmas Never Comes" (Paul Field)
- "Christmas Alphabet" (Buddy Kaye, Jules Loman)
- "Saviour's Day" (Chris Eaton)
- "The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas to You)" (Mel Tormé, Robert Wells)
- "Little Town" (Chris Eaton, traditional)
- "Scarlet Ribbons" (Evelyn Danzig, Jack Segal)
- "Silent Night" (Franz Grüber, Joseph Mohr, traditional)
- "White Christmas" (Irving Berlin)
- "This New Year" (Chris Eaton)
- Keith Bessey – engineer
- Dave Bishop – brass, alto sax, soprano sax, tenor sax
- John Clark – guitar
- Mickey Clark – background vocals
- Paul Dunne – guitar
- Andrew Greasly – assistant, strings, violin
- Mark Griffiths – bass
- Graham Jarvis – drums, percussion
- Gerry Kitchingham – engineer, remixing
- Peter May – drums, percussion
- Mae McKenna – vocals
- Paul Moessl – arranger, conductor, drum programming, keyboards, producer
- Sonia Jones Morgan – vocals
- Mick Mullins – vocals
- Keith Murrell – vocals
- Tessa Niles – vocals, background vocals
- Nigel Perrin – vocals, voices
- Craig Pruess – arranger, keyboards, producer, programming
- James Rainbird – choir/chorus
- Cliff Richard – primary artist, producer, vocal arrangement, vocals, background vocals
- Frank Ricotti – drums, percussion
- Tony Rivers & The Castaways – arranger, vocal arrangement, vocals, background vocals
- Ben Robbins – engineer, remixing
- Miriam Stockley – vocals
- Steve Stroud – bass
- Anthony "Packrat" Thompson – vocals, background vocals
- Derek Watkins – brass, cornet
Charts and certificationsEdit
Australian release postponedEdit
Curiously, the album's release in Australia was postponed until the 1992 Christmas season, despite Richard touring Australia late in 1991 (with his From a Distance tour) and including numerous songs from the Christmas album in the repertoire. EMI Australia instead allowed the previous year's From a Distance: The Event album to receive attention (as it had not yet charted) and released a new five-CD box set, The Cliff Richard Collection, made up of previously released material. Both sets did finally chart briefly at the end of the tour, reaching #21 and #25 respectively. When the Christmas album was eventually released in late 1992, momentum from the tour had since passed and the album did not chart.
- "Together With Cliff Richard - Cliff Richard - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- "Official Charts: Cliff Richard". The Official UK Charts Company. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Cliff Richard New Zealand Chart History". Hung Median. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Official German Charts". offiziellecharts.de. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Together With Cliff Richard - Cliff Richard - Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- "Cliff Richard | Artist | Official Charts". UK Albums Chart.
- "Charts.org.nz – Cliff Richard – Together with Cliff Richard". Hung Medien.
- UK Best-selling artist albums of 1991
- "British album certifications – Cliff Richard – Together with Cliff Richard". British Phonographic Industry. Select albums in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Type Together with Cliff Richard in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "New Zealand album certifications – Cliff Richard – Together with Cliff Richard". Recorded Music NZ.
- Scapolo, Dean (2007). The Complete New Zealand Music Charts 1966-2006. Maurienne House. ISBN 978-1-877443-00-8.
- "Australian Chart History: Cliff Richard". Hung Median. Retrieved 22 December 2017.