Newton in 2010
James Todd Newton
May 5, 1970
St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.
|Occupation||Entertainment reporter, game show host, author|
Silver F. Newton
(m. 2000; div. 2008)
Newton started his entertainment career at age sixteen as a disc jockey for Kincaid Entertainment in St. Louis. Later, the company found a role for him on its popular KMOV children's television show Gator Tales.
Newton then went on to spin records in various nightclubs around the Gateway City until landing a job emceeing contests and shows at the infamous OZ Nightclub in Sauget, IL (1988). He capitalized on the exposure to the area's elite clientele and landed an internship at radio station HOT 97 KHTK. Working alongside such St. Louis radio icons as Chuck Nasty, Jimmy Paige, and Gentleman Jim Gates, Todd's ambition got the best of him and he entered the radio station in the middle of the night and began talking on the microphone. Rather than terminate his internship, station management liked what they heard and put him on the payroll as the overnight personality.
While visiting Los Angeles in 1994 to host a movie junket for a St. Louis television station, Newton — then a top-rated disc jockey known as Rikk Idol — used the last of his travel money to hire a taxi to take him to the offices of various agents around Hollywood. He eventually signed with Abrams, Rubaloff, & Lawrence and was tapped as a host on E! Entertainment Television in 1995.
Newton was awarded the Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Game Show Host in 2012 for his work on Hasbro Studios' popular Family Game Night. He later hosted the syndicated Monopoly Millionaires' Club alongside comic Billy Gardell.
Mentored by game show pioneers Sande Stewart and Bob Barker, Newton has also been at the helm of such productions as GSN's Hollywood Showdown, Powerball Instant Millionaire, In Search Of The Partridge Family, World's Wildest Game Shows, and Whammy! The All-New Press Your Luck.
The Host With The Most® has awarded game show contestants more than fifty million dollars in cash and prizes and currently tours the United States and Canada as host of The Price Is Right Live!, an interactive theatrical production of the television game show.
- Gator Tales (1986)
- E! (1995-2007)
- Hollywood Showdown (2000-2001)
- Whammy! The All-New Press Your Luck (2002-2003)
- Powerball Instant Millionaire (2002-2004)
- Hot Ticket (2003)
- Performing As... (2004)
- Reality Remix (2004-2006)
- Made in the USA (2005)
- Gameshow Marathon (2006, road reporter and prize presenter)
- Home Shopping Network (2007-2008)
- GSN Live (2009)
- Family Game Night (2010–2014)
- Monopoly Millionaires' Club (2015-2016, Co-host)
- ShopHQ (2018-2019)
Newton has been behind the microphone of various American radio stations including WKBQ in his hometown of St. Louis, KIIS and KBIG in Los Angeles, WNEW in New York, and the syndicated All Nite Cafe. In January 2015, he helped launch a new radio station in St. Louis called NOW 96.3 KNOU and was inducted into the St. Louis Media Hall of Fame. He is currently the host of The Host With The Most podcast, a weekly talk show available on all major digital platforms.
Todd Newton married television producer Silver F. Newton in a private ceremony in Santa Barbara, CA (2000). Together they share a son and a daughter. The couple divorced amicably in 2008 and Newton has since been romantically linked to fashion model Sonja Ryans (2008-2010), actress Jill Whelan (2013), and clothing designer Jessica Mattson (2014-2016).
Todd is an avid supporter and celebrity spokesperson for animal rescue organizations nationwide and shares his home with the family's three rescue dogs: Daisy, Samantha Moonshine, and Coconut.
In 2012 Newton authored his first book, Life in the Bonus Round, which was named Best Autobiography at the Beverly Hills Book Awards. The following year he penned The Choice Is Yours: Six Keys for Putting Your Best Into Action and Create A Superstar Demo Reel. 2016 saw the continuation of Newton's autobiographical journey with the release of The Host With The Most: Tales Of A Tattooed Television Personality.
- Joe Holleman. Todd Newton nominated for another Daytime Emmy, stltoday.com; accessed September 9, 2015.
- Current, umsl.edu; accessed July 27, 2017.
- Profile, bnd.com; accessed September 9, 2015.
- Profile, stltoday.com; accessed September 9, 2015.
- ""The Price is Right Live" offers heartwarming job for host Todd Newton | Entertainment". wyomingnews.com. 2019-11-24. Retrieved 2020-05-14.
- "Freshman Makes Bucks For Yuks At Moonlighting" Current, University of Missouri St. Louis Campus Newspaper, February 16, 1989
- Todd Newton aka Rikk Idol is back on St. Louis airwaves, ksdk.com, February 3, 2015; accessed September 9, 2015.
- Joe Holleman (2015-03-31). "Todd Newton, two other Emmis STL jocks laid off | Joe's St. Louis". stltoday.com. Retrieved 2020-05-14.
- Grace Sydney (2019-08-17). "Todd Newton Promotes Save Them All Campaign". Dogtipper.com. Retrieved 2020-05-14.
Giuliana Rancic and Thomas Roberts
| Host of Miss USA with Alexandra Wehrley
Terrence J and Julianne Hough