Portrait of Titus Tobler by Carl Gonzenbach (1875)
|Born||July 25, 1806|
Stein, Appenzell, Switzerland
|Died||January 21, 1877 (aged 70)|
Tobler was born on 25 July 1806 in Stein, Appenzell, Switzerland. He studied and practiced medicine, traveled in Palestine, and after taking part in the political affairs of Switzerland, settled in 1871 at Munich, Germany. He died on 21 January 1877 in Munich.
His principal works are:
- Tobler, T. (1853). Dr. Titus Toblers zwei Bucher Topographie von Jerusalem und seinen Umgebungen (in German). 1. Berlin: G. Reimer.
- Tobler, T. (1854). Dr. Titus Toblers zwei Bucher Topographie von Jerusalem und seinen Umgebungen (in German). 2. Berlin: G. Reimer.
- which was supplemented by Beitrag zur medizinischen Topographie von Jerusalem (“A contribution to a medical topography of Jerusalem,” 1855)
- Planographie von Jerusalem (1858)
- Dritte Wanderung nach Palästina (“Third Journey to Palestine,” 1859)
- Bibliographia Geographica Palestinæ (“Geographic bibliography for Palestine,” 1867)
- Life by Heim (Zurich, 1879)