Tim Kelly (footballer)
Tim Kelly (born 26 July 1994) is a professional Australian rules footballer playing for the West Coast Eagles in the Australian Football League (AFL). He formerly played for the Geelong Football Club between 2018 and 2019.
Kelly with Geelong in May 2019
|Date of birth||26 July 1994|
|Original team(s)||South Fremantle (WAFL)|
|Draft||No. 24, 2017 national draft|
Round 1, 2018, Geelong|
vs. Melbourne, at MCG
|Height||182 cm (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||81 kg (179 lb)|
|Position(s)||Midfielder / forward|
|Current club||West Coast|
|2020–||West Coast||0 (0)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2019.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Early life and WAFL career
Kelly is from Perth and played his junior football for Palmyra. He has an Indigenous Australian father and a Chilean mother. He made his senior WAFL debut for the South Fremantle Football Club in 2013. He was runner-up in the club best and fairest in 2014. During the 2017 WAFL season he finished runner-up in the Sandover Medal to Haiden Schloithe. Before being drafted into the AFL, Kelly was an apprentice electrician. He has three children with his partner Caitlin Miller.
Kelly was drafted by Geelong with their second selection and twenty-fourth overall in the 2017 national draft as an over age draftee He made his debut in the three-point win against Melbourne at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in the opening round of the 2018 season. At the 2018 AFL Players' Association Awards he was voted Best First Year Player by fellow players. At the end of the 2018 season, Kelly requested a trade to the West Coast Eagles on familial grounds, but after long dicussions, Geelong refused to trade him despite his plea. After a stellar 2019 which included his first All-Australian selection, a preliminary final appearance and a top 5 finish in the Brownlow Medal, Kelly again requested a trade to West Coast. He was traded on the 9th of October.
- Statistics are correct to the end of the 2019 season 
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- AFL draft: South Fremantle star Tim Kelly ripe for the picking
- Tim Kelly WAFL statistics
- New recruit Tim Kelly fits the Cats to a T
- Will it be a case of 'sixth time lucky' for South Fremantle star Tim Kelly at AFL draft?
- Reid, Russell (25 November 2017). "AFL draft 2017: Cats pounce on Tim Kelly, the Bulldog who lit up the WAFL". The West Australian. Seven West Media. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- Cleary, Mitch (23 March 2018). "'Big Sav' one of three debutants for Cats". AFL.com.au. Telstra Media. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- Balmer, Matt (30 August 2018). "AFL best first year player 2018: Tim Kelly takes out AFL Players' Association award AFL Matt Balmer". Fox Sports Australia. Retrieved 16 October 2018.
- Writers, Staff (5 October 2018). "Geelong midfielder Tim Kelly requests trade to West Coast Eagles". Fox Sports Australia.
- "Tim Kelly". AFL Tables. Retrieved 26 September 2019.