Tibor Pleiß (//, alternative spelling Pleiss; born 2 November 1989) is a German professional basketball player for Anadolu Efes of the Turkish Super League and the EuroLeague. Standing 7 feet 3 inches (2.21 m), he plays the center position. He is also a member of the German national team.
Pleiß with Germany in 2015
|No. 21 – Anadolu Efes|
|League||Turkish Super League|
|Born||2 November 1989|
Bergisch Gladbach, West Germany
|Listed height||7 ft 3 in (2.21 m)|
|Listed weight||256 lb (116 kg)|
|NBA draft||2010 / Round: 2 / Pick: 31st overall|
|Selected by the New Jersey Nets|
|2006–2009||RheinEnergie Köln / Köln 99ers|
|Career highlights and awards|
Pleiß joined RheinEnergie Köln (a year later they changed their name to Köln 99ers) of the German Bundesliga as a 17-year-old in 2006. He played with the club for three years, playing in the 2008 EuroCup. After the season ended, he joined the Brose Baskets where he played for three years.
On 24 June 2012, Pleiß left Germany and signed a four-year contract with the Spanish club Saski Baskonia, one of the top teams of the Liga ACB. In the 2013–14 season, he averaged 12.4 points on 58.3 percent shooting and 6.0 rebounds in 21.8 minutes per game. He left Baskonia after two years.
On 11 August 2014, he signed a two-year contract with the Spanish club FC Barcelona. In the 2014–15 ACB season, he averaged 5.7 points and 3.8 rebounds in 13.3 minutes per game while shooting 62.3 percent from the floor. In July 2015, he broke the contract with Barcelona, in order to sign in the NBA.
Pleiß declared for the 2010 NBA draft. He was drafted by the New Jersey Nets, who traded his rights to the Atlanta Hawks. The Hawks then sold his rights to the Oklahoma City Thunder. In February 2015, his draft rights were traded to the Utah Jazz as part of a three-team trade.
On 14 July 2015, Pleiß signed a multi-year deal with the Utah Jazz. He made his NBA debut on 30 October in a 99–71 win over the Philadelphia 76ers, recording two points and one rebound in two minutes. On 2 January 2016, in a 92–87 overtime win over the Memphis Grizzlies, Pleiß set career-highs with six points, six rebounds and 17 minutes. During his rookie season, he received multiple assignments to the Idaho Stampede, Utah's D-League affiliate.
On 26 August 2016, Pleiß was traded, along with two 2017 second-round draft picks and cash considerations, to the Philadelphia 76ers in exchange for Kendall Marshall. Five days later, he was waived by the 76ers.
Return to EuropeEdit
German national teamEdit
Pleiß was a member of the junior national teams of Germany. He played for the German junior national teams at the 2007 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship and at both the 2008 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship Division B and the 2009 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship.
Pleiß is also a member of the senior men's German national basketball team. He first played for the senior team at EuroBasket 2009, and saw action in three games. He was also in the German team that participated in the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey, where he was the starting center for Germany. He also played at the EuroBasket 2011 and the EuroBasket 2013.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field-goal percentage||3P%||3-point field-goal percentage||FT%||Free-throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||PIR||Performance Index Rating|
Note: The EuroLeague is not the only competition in which the player participated for the team during the season. He also played in domestic competition, and regional competition if applicable.
- "Caja Laboral ficha a Tibor Pleiss y Fabien Causeur". ACB.com (in Spanish). 24 June 2012. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "FC Barcelona lands Pleiss". Euroleague.net. 11 August 2014. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "Tibor Pleiss broke the contract with Barcelona, heads to the Utah Jazz". Sportando.com. 9 July 2015. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- "104 players declared for NBA draft". Sportando.com. 29 April 2010. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "Nets trade Jordan Crawford, Tibor Pleiß draft rights to Hawks for Damion James". insidehoops.com. 25 June 2010. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "Thunder Acquires Pleiß, Williams, Reid and Future First Round Pick in 2010 NBA Draft". NBA.com. 24 June 2010. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Jazz Acquire Three Players and Two Future Draft Picks in Three-Team Trade". NBA.com. 19 February 2015. Retrieved 19 February 2015.
- "Jazz Sign Tibor Pleiß to Multi-Year Contract". NBA.com. 15 July 2015. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "Jazz beat 76ers 99-71 for 1st victory of season". NBA.com. 30 October 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "Hood scores 32 as Jazz beat Grizzlies 92-87 in OT". NBA.com. 2 January 2016. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- "2015-16 NBA Assignments". NBA.com. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- "Sixers Complete Trade With Utah". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. 26 August 2016. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "Sixers Waive Pleiss, Landry". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. 31 August 2016. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "Tibor Pleiss signs with Galatasaray". Sportando.com. 12 September 2016. Retrieved 12 September 2016.
- "Valencia places veteran Pleiss in the middle for the next two years". Euroleague.net. 28 July 2017. Retrieved 28 July 2017.
- "Tibor Pleiss Anadolu Efes'te..." anadoluefessk.org (in Turkish). 1 August 2018. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "Eurobasket 2009 profile". Eurobasket2009.org. Archived from the original on 14 November 2011. Retrieved 30 November 2015.CS1 maint: Unfit url (link)