Those Who Kill
Those Who Kill (Danish: Den som dræber) is a Danish crime TV series from 2011, which follows a fictitious unit within Copenhagen Police which specialises in investigating serial murders. The series was aired as five two-part stories in Denmark (i.e. ten episodes in total), but has aired as five feature-length episodes in most other countries. A separate 92 minutes feature film, Fortidens skygge, which forms a continuation and ending of the series, premiered in Danish cinemas on 15 March 2012, and is being aired as a final, sixth episode of the series in many other countries, such as the UK and Germany.
|Those Who Kill|
Danish DVD cover
|Also known as||'Den som dræber'|
|Genre||Crime drama, thriller|
|Created by||Elsebeth Egholm|
Lærke Winther Andersen
Frederik Meldal Nørgaard
|Country of origin||Denmark|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10 (Denmark)|
6 (UK, Germany)
|Running time||60 min. (Denmark)|
120 min. (UK, Germany)
92 min. (Fortidens skygge)
|Original release||13 March –|
15 May 2011
The series is created and written by Elsebeth Egholm and Stefan Jaworski, with various other screenwriters helping out as episode writers, among them Siv Rajendram, Rikke De Fine Licht and Morten Dragsted. Directors have been Birger Larsen, Niels Nørløv and Kasper Barfoed. The series is a Danish-German-Swedish-Norwegian co-production.
Although originally planned to run for several seasons, Danish TV2 announced in October 2011 that there would be no further seasons made, due to falling viewer shares after the first few episodes. TV2 programming manager Keld Reinicke stated that, "We have no plans to continue the series as it never gave us the audience share we expected in Denmark".
Announced in April 2018, Those Who Kill returned to the screens in 2019 on the Viaplay streaming service and the TV3 network across Scandinavia, with a new separate season which starred Kenneth M Christensen and Natalie Madueño.
|Laura Bach||Katrine Ries Jensen||All (team member)|
|Jakob Cedergren||Thomas Schaeffer||All (team member)|
|Lars Mikkelsen||Magnus Bisgaard||All (team member)|
|Lærke Winther Andersen||Mia Vogelsang||All (team member)|
|Frederik Meldal Nørgaard||Stig Molbeck||All (team member)|
|Iben Dorner||Benedicte Schaeffer||All (team member)|
|Carsten Bjørnlund||Adam Krogh||Liget i skoven|
|David Dencik||Lars Werner||Utopia|
|Stine Stengade||Andrea Lorck||Utopia|
|Ulrich Thomsen||Martin Høegh||Ondt blod|
|Kim Bodnia||Jakov||Øje for øje|
|Thomas Levin||David||Øje for øje|
|Alexandre Willaume||Simon||Dødens kabale|
|Marie Askehave||Maria||Dødens kabale|
|Mille Dinesen||Signe||Dødens kabale|
|Danish episode title||First broadcast
in Denmark (TV2)
in Sweden (TV4)
|English episode title||First broadcast|
in the UK (ITV3)
|Liget i skoven||13 March 2011 (part 1)
20 March 2011 (part 2)
|1,477,000 (part 1)
1,329,000 (part 2)
|10 October 2011 (part 1)
17 October 2011 (part 2)
|NA (part 1)
815,000 (part 2)
|Corpse in the Woods||23 February 2012|
|Utopia||27 March 2011 (part 1)
3 April 2011 (part 2)
|1,155,000 (part 1)
1,156,000 (part 2)
|24 October 2011 (part 1)
31 October 2011 (part 2)
|825,000 (part 1)
NA (part 2)
|Utopia||1 March 2012|
|Ondt blod||10 April 2011 (part 1)
17 April 2011 (part 2)
|1,026,000 (part 1)
906,000 (part 2)
|14 November 2011 (part 1)
21 November 2011 (part 2)
|NA (part 1)
NA (part 2)
|Bad Blood||8 March 2012|
|Øje for øje||24 April 2011 (part 1)
1 May 2011 (part 2)
|619,000 (part 1)
859,000 (part 2)
|28 November 2011 (part 1)
5 December (part 2)
|NA (part 1)
NA (part 2)
|An Eye for an Eye||15 March 2012|
|Dødens kabale||8 May 2011 (part 1)
15 May 2011 (part 2)
|801,000 (part 1)
913,000 (part 2)
|12 December 2011 (part 1)
19 December 2011 (part 2)
|NA (part 1)
|A Deadly Game||22 March 2012|
|Fortidens skygge||Cinema premiere:
15 March 2012
|NA||NA||NA||Shadow of the Past||29 March 2012|
Those Who Kill has been sold to broadcasters in more than 25 countries. In Germany 3.8 million viewers watched the final episode on channel ZDF. In the United Kingdom, the series has been shown by commercial channel ITV3.
Streaming (in U.S.)Edit
It is being streamed on Mhz Choice (only in the U.S.).
In January 2012, the A&E television channel announced that it had bought the rights to develop a U.S. version of the series. A pilot episode began filming in Pittsburgh in December 2012, produced by Fox 21 and written by Glen Morgan. The pilot starred Chloë Sevigny as police detective Catherine Jensen, and James D'Arcy as forensic profiler Thomas Schaeffer. In April 2013, A&E announced that it had greenlit a 10-episode first season of the series, which would begin production in Pittsburgh in late 2013. The series premiered on A&E on March 3, 2014.
Although the series received poor critical reviews, it got positive viewer reviews.
- Kino.dk: Fortidens skygge Retrieved 2012-03-17
- IMDb: Company credits for "Those Who Kill" Retrieved 2012-03-17
- "TV2 has buried success crime series" (in Danish). B.T. Retrieved 2012-02-25.
- C21Media - MTG goes back to Those Who Kill Retrieved 2018-04-05
- TNS Gallup TV ratings Retrieved 2012-01-16
- MMS TV ratings Retrieved 2012-04-03
- TV Guide: Those Who Kill Episode Guide Retrieved 2012-02-05
- ITV Press Centre: Those Who Kill, episode 1 Retrieved 2012-03-17
- ITV Press Centre: Those Who Kill, episode 2 Retrieved 2012-03-17
- ITV Press Centre: Those Who Kill, episode 3 Retrieved 2012-03-17
- ITV Press Centre: Those Who Kill, episode 4 Retrieved 2012-03-17
- ITV Press Centre: Those Who Kill, episode 5 Retrieved 2012-03-17
- Danish Film Institute: Fortidens skygge Retrieved 2012-03-17
- ITV Press Centre: Those Who Kill, episode 6 Retrieved 2012-03-17
- "German audience" (in Danish). Jyllands Posten. Retrieved 2012-01-28.
- "Those Who Kill". Radio Times. Retrieved 2012-01-28.
- "A&E Network in development on two scripted formats". A&E. January 13, 2012. Archived from the original on June 25, 2012. Retrieved March 17, 2012.
- Owen, Rob (November 30, 2012). "New A&E crime drama to begin filming here". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- Owen, Rob (April 10, 2013). "Tuned In: A&E OKs 'Those Who Kill' giving region biggest TV deal". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- "Those Who Kill: Season 1 - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- "Those Who Kill: LMN TV Series Cancelled, No Season Two". TV Series Finale. May 22, 2014. Retrieved January 13, 2015.