Thor Bjørklund (October 30, 1889 – December 8, 1975) was a Norwegian inventor and businessman. He is best known as the inventor of Ostehøvel, a popular cheese slicer which developed into an important Norwegian export product.
Thor Bjørklund was born in Lillehammer, Oppland, Norway. He was apprenticed as a cabinet maker. He also attended the Arts and Crafts School in Oslo. He was employed for some time as a master carpenter. He began to experiment with a carpenter's plane in the hope that he could create something similar for use in the kitchen. He made cheese slicers in his workshop, and on 27 February 1925 he patented the model of cheese slicer which is today found in many households in Nordic countries.
In 1927, he started the firm known today as Thor Bjørklund & Sønner AS. The company still produces cheese slicers in Lillehammer, and has operated since November 17, 2009 as a subsidiary of Gudbrandsdal Industrier AS.
- "Thor Bjørklund". Norsk biografisk leksikon. Retrieved December 15, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- About Us: History (Thor Bjørklund & Sønner AS)
- Mats Linder. "Ostehøvel". Store norske leksikon. Retrieved December 15, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- The Cheese Slicer – A Norwegian Icon celebrates its 80th birthday (Nortrade, Norway's official trade portal)
- "The History of the Cheese Slicer". inventors.about.com. Retrieved December 15, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Thor Bjørklund: Cheese Slicer (Tasteful Inventions)
- "Bjørklund". Gudbrandsdal Industrier AS. Retrieved December 15, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)