T. Taylor Eighmy
University of Texas at San Antonio
|Assumed office |
September 1, 2017
|Preceded by||Pedro Reyes (interim)|
|Alma mater||Tufts University (B.S., 1980)|
University of New Hampshire (M.S., 1983; Ph.D., 1986)
Eighmy graduated from Tufts University in 1980 with a B.S. in biology. He earned a M.S. in civil engineering in 1983 and a Ph.D. in environmental engineering in 1986, both from the University of New Hampshire.
Eighmy served as the vice president for research at the University of New Hampshire from 2006 to 2009, when he took the same position at Texas Tech University. From 2012 to 2017, he served as the vice chancellor of research and engagement at the University of Tennessee. In that position, he helped to establish the University of Tennessee’s Institute for Advanced Composites Manufacturing Innovation, a public-private partnership supported by the U.S. Department of Energy. He also established the university's Office of Undergraduate Research.
Eighmy was named the sole finalist for the presidency of UTSA in June 2017. His presidency began on September 1, 2017; the formal inauguration was on March 20, 2018. He also serves as a member of UTSA's faculty with appointments in the department of civil and environmental engineering, and the department of environmental science and ecology.
Honors and awardsEdit
Eighmy is a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the National Academy of Inventors. He is a diplomate of the American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists. He holds a patent for a phosphate mineral-based reactive barrier containment system. He served as the chairman of the board of directors of the Institute for Advanced Composites Manufacturing Innovation from 2015 to 2017.
He serves on the boards of the Coalition of Urban Serving Universities, Texas Biomedical Research Institute, San Antonio Medical Foundation, World Affairs Council of San Antonio, United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County, Texas International Education Consortium and Conference USA. He is a member of the Council of Public University Presidents and Chancellors, the Council on Competitiveness and an Advisory Trustee of Southwest Research Institute.
Eighmy's research focuses on element speciation, environmental chemistry of leaching behavior, spectroscopic surface analysis, applied geochemistry, reactive barriers, reactive transport modeling, environmental microbiology, biofouling, biofilms, sustainability, carbon sequestration, carbon cycling, and recycled materials.
Eighmy and his wife Peggy have one daughter, Hannah.
- "Office of the President: Biography". University of Texas at San Antonio. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- Edwards, Michael Elkins (Fall 2017). "The Way Forward". Sombrilla. San Antonio: University of Texas at San Antonio. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- Post, Sally (April 14, 2009). "New Vice President for Research Named". Texas Tech University. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- "IACMI Formally Launches at Inaugural Meeting | Corporate & Foundation Engagement". cfe.tennessee.edu. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- "Taylor Eighmy to Be President of UT San Antonio". University of Tennessee. July 26, 2017. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- "UT Regents name finalist for president of UTSA". University of Texas at San Antonio. June 30, 2017. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- "UTSA celebrates Inauguration of President Eighmy". University of Texas at San Antonio. March 20, 2018. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- US Patent No. 6290637 Phosphate mineral-based reactive barrier containment system
- "Appreciation for Dr. Eighmy as he accepts position with University of Texas at San Antonio". Institute for Advanced Composites Manufacturing Innovation. September 1, 2017. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- Civil, T. Taylor EighmyUniversity of Texas at San Antonio | UTSA · Department of; Engineering, Environmental; Science, Department of Environmental; Philosophy, Ecology 31 99 · Doctor of. "T. Taylor Eighmy | Doctor of Philosophy | University of Texas at San Antonio, TX | UTSA | Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering & Department of Environmental Science and Ecology". ResearchGate. Retrieved 2018-07-24.
- ORCID. "Thomas Eighmy (0000-0002-3133-296X) - ORCID | Connecting Research and Researchers". orcid.org. Retrieved 2018-07-24.
- "T.T. Eighmy - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.com. Retrieved 2018-07-24.
|This biography of an American academic administrator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|