This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
This Week in Virology (abbreviated as TWiV; //) is a science podcast hosted by Vincent Racaniello with co-hosts Dickson Despommier, Alan Dove, Brianne Barker, Rich Condit, and Kathy Spindler. The podcast, which began in 2008, covers all things viruses ("the kind that make you sick!") and gained a significant audience during the COVID-19 pandemic. Originally available in audio form only, the show added a video-conference stream in 2020. In addition to regular panelists, there are frequent segments featuring front-line researchers, including director of the NIAID, Anthony Fauci. It is one of several podcasts at microbe.tv that are hosted by Vincent Racaniello.
|This Week in Virology|
|Hosted by||Vincent Racaniello|
|Length||40 minutes – 2.5 hours|
|No. of episodes||700 (as of December 31, 2020)|
|Original release||September 24, 2008– present|
During the COVID-19 pandemicEdit
This Week in Virology grew its audience under the COVID-19 pandemic, and although its title remains the same, in early 2020 the frequency of podcasts increased to two or three per week in order to cover breaking news about the dynamic state of research and treatment of the disease. A physician specializing in infectious diseases, Daniel O. Griffin, who is located in the New York metropolitan area, became a reoccurring guest to give clinical updates on Coronavirus disease 2019. In December 2020, Griffin's clinical updates were given separate episode numbers and featured as standalone elements that could be accessed individually.
During this time, due to the Trump Administration's conflicting statements about the nature and severity of the pandemic, the podcast received criticism from some quarters for getting "too involved in politics," to which the panelists replied that they would not get involved in politics if politics would not get involved in the science.
- Joy, William (2020-05-11). "Virology professor separates fact from fiction about the coronavirus". wfaa.com. Archived from the original on 2020-07-28. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- "TWiV 645: Lions and tigers and zookeepers (oh my)". This Week in Virology. This Week in Virology. July 26, 2020. Archived from the original on 2021-07-05. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- Columbia University (2020-03-31). "Viral Columbia Podcast Keeps Listeners Up to Date on Coronavirus". Columbia University Irving Medical Center. Archived from the original on 2021-05-22. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- "Guests". This Week in Virology. This Week in Virology. Archived from the original on 2021-06-03. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- "Daniel Griffin, MD". ProHEALTH Care. ProHEALTH Care. Archived from the original on 2021-02-25. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- Walczak, Bill (July 2, 2020). "The virology podcast TWIV has become an essential source for COVID-19 news". Dorchester Reporter. Archived from the original on 2020-10-19. Retrieved 2020-07-28.