This Place Hotel
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
"This Place Hotel" (originally named "Heartbreak Hotel") is a popular song and a hit recording by the Jacksons released in 1980 and written and composed by Michael. While his brothers did not sing background vocals, they were credited with playing percussion on the album while brother Tito contributed a guitar solo. The song has a tempo of 98 beats per minute, making it notably slower than many of the other disco-based songs on the album. In the song, the protagonist speaks of a time when ten years ago, he took his girlfriend to a hotel for a romantic night—only to find out that it was designed specifically to break couples up. The staff at the hotel gave the girl the impression that he had cheated on her with someone else, something he did not do, which caused her to break up with him in the hotel.
Artwork for UK vinyl release
|Single by the Jacksons|
|from the album Triumph|
|Released||December 5, 1980|
|Length||5:44 (album version)|
4:52 (single version)
2:09 (Immortal version)
|the Jacksons singles chronology|
The song reached No. 22 on the Billboard pop singles chart and No. 2 on the R&B singles chart. "This Place Hotel" was the group's second biggest single off their Triumph album, behind "Lovely One". The song, in turn, became a popular concert performance for the group's next two tours into Michael's own Bad tour. The song, like the aforementioned "Can You Feel It", was sampled fairly often in hip hop.
The song was performed on the Jacksons' Triumph Tour (thus appears on The Jacksons Live album) and was subsequently used on the Jacksons' Victory Tour. When Michael Jackson first toured as a solo act, "This Place Hotel" was the only Jacksons song to be used in both legs of the Bad World Tour, whereas the other songs by the group (with the exception of a medley of early Jackson 5 hits) were retired during the second leg. A spoken word and synth recording preceded the song on the first leg of the Bad tour, but for the second leg of the tour (and on the subsequent Dangerous World Tour) that recording was used as an intro to Jackson's hit "Smooth Criminal" instead.
The song was included on Michael Jackson's The Ultimate Collection and it has been remixed on the Immortal album in 2011. A live version of the song is available on the 2012 DVD Live at Wembley July 16, 1988. On March 23, 2014, a video clip of a live performance of the song from the Victory Tour was uploaded to the Jacksons' official YouTube account.
The original title of "Heartbreak Hotel" was used and released commercially on 7" vinyl in many countries, though a 2-track 12" maxi single was produced and promotional-only copies, given to radio stations and reviewers and a limited 2-track Japanese mini CD single was commercially released in November 1988 (using the newly chosen title), to coincide with the Michael Jackson Bad tour.
This track has been sampled on at least 20 different hip-hop, R&B and gospel songs, including most notably:
- "Peaceful Journey" by Heavy D & the Boyz feat. K-Ci & JoJo (Peaceful Journey, 1991)
- "N.E. Heart Break" by New Edition (Heart Break, 1988)
- "Heartbreak Hotel" by The Game feat. Diddy (The Red Room, 2010)
- "You Are the Only One (Remix)" by God's Property feat. Kirk Franklin (God's Property from Kirk Franklin's Nu Nation, 1997)
- "You Be Killin Em" by Fabolous (There Is No Competition 2: The Grieving Music EP, 2010)
- "Lookin' Fly" by Redman feat. Method Man (Reggie, 2010)
- "The Center of Attraction" by Ghostface Killah feat. Cappadonna (Twelve Reasons to Die: The Brown Tape, 2013)
Covered by Living Colour 2017
These are the formats and track listings of major single releases of "This Place Hotel" (previously "Heartbreak Hotel").
|7" vinyl single - US (Epic – 19-50959)|
|1.||"Heartbreak Hotel"||Michael Jackson||4:49|
|2.||"Things I Do For You"||T. Jackson, J. Jackson, M. Jackson, M. Jackson, R. Jackson,||4:05|
|7" vinyl single - UK (Epic – S EPC 9391)|
|1.||"Heartbreak Hotel"||Michael Jackson||4:47|
|2.||"Different Kind Of Lady"||The Jacksons||3:36|
|CD single - Japan|
|1.||"This Place Hotel"||Michael Jackson||5:45|
|2.||"Lovely One"||Michael Jackson, Randy Jackson||3:45|
|CD single 1989 - Austria (Epc 654555 3)|
|1.||"Heartbreak Hotel"||Michael Jackson||5:42|
|2.||"Blame It on the Boogie"||Mick Jackson, Dave Jackson, Elmar Krohn||6:56|
- Written, arranged and composed by Michael Jackson
- Produced by the Jacksons
- Associate Producer: Greg Phillinganes
- Lead and background vocals by Michael Jackson
- Additional background vocals: Stephanie Spruill, Maxine Willard Waters and Julia Tillman Waters
- Horn arrangement by Tom Tom 84
- Prelude arrangement by Jerry Hey
- Scream: La Toya Jackson
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 287.
- "The Jacksons' "This Place Hotel (Heartbreak Hotel)": Sampled". WhoSampled.com. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- Popoff, Martin (2010). Goldmine Standard Catalog of American Records 1948–1991 (8th ed.). Krause. p. 603. ISBN 978-0-89689-958-2.
- The Sound Of The Crowd - a Discography of the '80s (Third Edition) By Steve Binnie - The Jacksons – Heartbreak Hotel], UK 7" vinyl single Epic – S EPC 9391
- suruga-ya.jp - The Jacksons - This Place Hotel] - Japan Mini CD single, JANコード: 4988010603953, 管理番号: 250029520, 発売日:1988/10/26, 定価: 956円メーカー:型番: 108P-3048
- The Sound Of The Crowd - a Discography of the '80s (Third Edition) By Steve Binnie - Heartbreak Hotel 3"CD single 1989