June 10, 1967
Hicksville, New York U.S.
|Other names||Long Island Medium|
|Known for||Long Island Medium|
(m. 1989; div. 2018)
Caputo, the daughter of Nicholas and Veronica Brigandi, was born and raised in Hicksville, New York, on Long Island. She has a brother, Michael. Their father was a volunteer firefighter and worked for the Nassau County Department of Public Works until 1980 when he was elected county water commissioner.
Several people have raised doubts about her powers, including Inside Edition and Jezebel. D. J. Grothe called on Caputo to prove her abilities, and James Randi said her claims were not true.
In April 2012, the James Randi Educational Foundation awarded Caputo its Pigasus Award, a tongue-in-cheek award that seeks to expose parapsychological, paranormal or psychic frauds. The James Randi Education Foundation has been critical of Caputo's work.
A newspaper review of Caputo's performances at the NYCB Theatre at Westbury in late 2017 concluded, "For me, this unbelievable experience was simply that: not to be believed. In my humble opinion, Caputo is a damn good performer, and she's got undeniably likable sass and charisma. I just don't think she speaks with the dead. Or she didn't the night that I saw her. But my father probably could have told you that."
Paranormal investigator Massimo Polidoro calls Caputo a "performer" and reports on an investigation done by Inside Edition and mentalist Mark Edward who attended one of her live shows in 2012. In 2013, illusionist Criss Angel offered Caputo $1 million to prove her claims.
On December 3, 2017, Theresa and her husband Larry Caputo jointly announced they were separating after 28 years of marriage. They have two children, who have both appeared on the show: Larry Caputo Jr. and Victoria Caputo. On June 27, 2018, Larry Caputo, who moved to Los Angeles following the separation from Theresa, announced he and Theresa were moving from separation to divorce. In December 2018, Theresa Caputo announced the divorce had been finalized.
Works and publicationsEdit
- Caputo, Theresa; Grish, Kristina (2013). There's More to Life Than This: Healing Messages, Remarkable Stories, and Insight About the Other Side from the Long Island Medium (1st Atria Books hardcover ed.). Pocket Books. ISBN 978-1-4767-2703-5. OCLC 872588683.
- Caputo, Theresa (2014). You Can't Make This Stuff Up: Life Changing Lessons from Heaven. Pocket Books. ISBN 978-1-4767-6443-6. OCLC 903630815.
- Caputo, Theresa (2017). Good Grief: Heal Your Soul, Honor Your Loved Ones, and Learn to Live Again. Atria Books. ISBN 978-1-5011-3908-6. OCLC 956959045.
- Ann O'Delia Diss Debar ("One of the most extraordinary fake mediums... the world has ever known" -Houdini)
- Char Margolis
- Flim-Flam! (Psychics, ESP, Unicorns and other Delusions)
- Fortune telling fraud
- Houdini's debunking of psychics and mediums
- James Van Praagh
- John Edward
- Mark Edward
- Matt Fraser (psychic)
- Monica the Medium
- Televangelist Peter Popoff exposed by James Randi
- Psychic Blues: Confessions of a Conflicted Medium
- Psychic Friends Network, telephone psychic service
- Rose Mackenberg (Historic investigator of psychic mediums)
- Sylvia Browne
- Thomas John Flanagan
- Tyler Henry
- McNeil, Liz (March 17, 2017). "Long Island Medium's Theresa Caputo Endured Decades of Anxiety Because She Feared Communicating with the Dead". People. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- Merritt, Jim (December 15, 2014). "'Long Island Medium' Theresa Caputo, at home in Hicksville". Newsday. New York City / Long Island. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
Caputo, 47(subscription required)
- Caputo gives birth date as June 10, 1967: "50 and feeling fabulous!...#birthdaygirl". Theresa Caputo verified Instagram page. June 10, 2017. Archived from the original on December 24, 2021. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- Agard, Chancellor (January 1, 2016). "The Long Island Medium Dishes on Seeing Famous Ghosts". People. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- Miller, Bruce R. (October 10, 2014). "Medium Theresa Caputo finds plenty of interest in her ability to she is gay and dead". Sioux City Journal. Retrieved January 4, 2016.
- "About Me". Theresa Caputo official website. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
My parents Nick and Ronnie...and my brother Michael...
- Hernandez, Emma (April 30, 2018). "Theresa Caputo's Mom and Dad Are Also Sad About Her Split From Her Husband Larry". Life & Style. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
Theresa's father Nicholas is 77 years old and is from Hicksville, NY which is where he raised Theresa and her brother Michael with his wife, Veronica.
- Caputo, Theresa. "Biography". Theresa Caputo verified Facebook page. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
I was born and raised on Long Island in Hicksville, NY.
- "Nicholas J. Brigandi – Spirit of Giving Award". Kiwanis Club of Hicksville. October 2012. Archived from the original on June 23, 2016. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- Cook, Michael (December 21, 2015). ""Long Island Medium" Theresa Caputo -- "You Can't Put A Price On What I Am Able To Give People"". The Huffington Post. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- Keeperman, Brittany. "Spirited energy: 'Long Island Medium' Theresa Caputo to appear at the Convo". Daily Chronicle. Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- "The Long Island Medium – Can She Really Communicate with the Dead?". Inside Edition. August 11, 2012. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Stewart, Dodai (October 20, 2012). "Super Sad and Misguided Emails Intended for the Long Island Medium". Jezebel.com. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Grothe, DJ. "Priceline.com: Will you prove your spokesperson worthy for a million dollars?". The Huffington Post. Retrieved August 15, 2012.
- Randi, James (April 9, 2012). "The 'Medium' is not the messenger". Wired Magazine. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- "2012 Pigasus Awards Announcement" (YouTube video). James Randi Educational Foundation. March 30, 2012. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- Stollznow, Dr. Karen (June 27, 2012). "Long Island Medium: A Tall Story". James Randi Educational Foundation. Retrieved January 4, 2016.
- Franchi, Jaime (December 7, 2014). "My Not-So-Psychic Experience with Long Island Medium Theresa Caputo". Long Island Press.
- Polidoro, Massimo (June 2016). "Theresa Caputo: The Fake Long Island Medium". Skeptical Inquirer. 40 (3): 16–17.
- Angel in Lovece, Frank (October 15, 2013). "Criss Angel on his new show, 'BeLIEve': 'It's healthy' to be skeptical". Newsday. New York City / Long Island. Archived from the original on July 31, 2019. Retrieved December 7, 2017.
The Long Island Medium is just another charlatan. Any time she wants, we'll put her through a series of tests and I'll offer a million-dollar challenge to her. And you can put that in black and white.(subscription required)
- Petit, Stephanie (December 3, 2017). "Long Island Medium Theresa Caputo Separates from Husband Larry After 28 Years of Marriage". People. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- Kovats, Kirstie (May 4, 2015). "Larry Caputo Interview: Long Island Medium". Inked Magazine. Retrieved January 4, 2016.
- "'Long Island Medium' Couple Moving Forward With Divorce". TMZ.com. Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- Lovece, Frank (December 18, 2018). "Theresa and Larry Caputo finalize their divorce". Newsday. New York City / Long Island. Archived from the original on December 19, 2018. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
Nassau County Supreme Court records show that on Dec. 12, attorneys of the Garden City firm Gassman Biamonte Betts filed a standard Request for Judicial Intervention for plaintiff Theresa R. Caputo in an uncontested divorce from Lawrence P. Caputo. No disposition date is listed in the online record.
- Official website
- Theresa Caputo at IMDb
- Dyball, Rennie (September 7, 2012). "Everything You'd Want to Ask the Long Island Medium ... Answered". People. Retrieved September 10, 2016.