Theodore Garland Jr.(Redirected from Theodore Garland, Jr.)
Theodore Garland Jr. (born 28 November 1956) is a biologist specializing in evolutionary physiology. He was on the faculty at the University of Wisconsin–Madison for 14 years, served as a program director for the Population Biology and Physiological Ecology Program at the National Science Foundation during 1991-1992, and is Professor of Biology at the University of California, Riverside. He earned his B.S in zoology and M.S. in biology at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, working with William Glen Bradley, a mammalogist, and his Ph.D. in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of California, Irvine under Albert F. Bennett a comparative physiologist. While in graduate school, he served as President of the Southern Nevada Herpetology Association. During his Ph.D. work, he recorded the maximum speed (34.6 km/h) of what to date remains the world's fastest lizard, Ctenosaura similis. Subsequently, he completed postdoctoral training at the University of Washington with Raymond B. Huey.
Garland is the Editor in Chief for the journal Physiological and Biochemical Zoology, is a Topic Editor for Comprehensive Physiology, is on the Editorial Advisory Board of Zoology, and has been on the editorial boards of the Journal of Morphology, The American Naturalist, and Evolution. He is an Associate Director for the Network for Experimental Research on Evolution, a University of California Multicampus Research Program.
His major scientific contributions have been in the areas of lizard locomotor physiology and ecology, allometry, phylogenetic comparative methods ); and the application of artificial selection experiments to understand the correlated evolution ] of physiology and behavior, as well as the physiological, neurobiological, and genetic bases of voluntary activity levels (physical exercise).
In 1983-84, he was a Visiting Fulbright Scholar at the University of Wollongong, Australia, hosted by Anthony J. Hulbert. In 1991, he received a Presidential Young Investigator Award  from the National Science Foundation. The University of Nevada, Las Vegas named him College of Sciences Alumnus of the Year  in April 2017.
- Garland, T. Jr., and M. R. Rose, eds. 2009. Experimental Evolution: Concepts, Methods, and Applications of Selection Experiments. University of California Press, Berkeley, California. xvii + 730 pages.
- Garland, T. Jr. (1983). "The relation between maximal running speed and body mass in terrestrial mammals" (PDF). Journal of Zoology, London. 199: 157–170.
- Garland, T. Jr., and S. C. Adolph. 1991. Physiological differentiation of vertebrate populations. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 22:193-228. PDF
- Garland, T. Jr., and S. C. Adolph. 1994. Why not to do two-species comparative studies: limitations on inferring adaptation. Physiological Zoology 67:797-828. PDF
- Garland, T. Jr., and P. A. Carter. 1994. Evolutionary physiology. Annual Review of Physiology 56:579-621. PDF
- Garland, T. Jr.; Bennett, A. F.; Rezende, E. L. (2005). "Phylogenetic approaches in comparative physiology" (PDF). Journal of Experimental Biology. 208: 3015–3035. doi:10.1242/jeb.01745.
- Swallow, J. G.; Garland, T. Jr. (2005). "Selection experiments as a tool in evolutionary and comparative physiology: insights into complex traits - An introduction to the symposium" (PDF). Integrative and Comparative Biology. 45: 387–390. doi:10.1093/icb/45.3.387.
- Garland, T. Jr.; Schutz, H.; Chappell, M. A.; Keeney, B. K.; Meek, T. H.; Copes, L. E.; Acosta, W.; Drenowatz, C.; Maciel, R. C.; van Dijk, G.; Kotz, C. M.; Eisenmann, J. C. (2011). "The biological control of voluntary exercise, spontaneous physical activity and daily energy expenditure in relation to obesity: human and rodent perspectives" (PDF). Journal of Experimental Biology. 214: 206–229. doi:10.1242/jeb.048397.
- "Physiological and Biochemical Zoology Editorial Board". journals.uchicago.edu. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- "Comprehensive Physiology list of editors". Wiley.com. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "Journal of Morphology". .interscience.wiley.com. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "NERE Home Page". Nere.bio.uci.edu. 2004-01-01. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- Peter E. Midford. "Mesquite:PDAP:PDTree". Mesquiteproject.org. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "Presidential Young Investigator Award". Nsf.gov. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "College of Sciences Alumnus of the Year". unlv.edu. Retrieved 2018-06-25.