Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
"Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)" is a song written by Michael Masser and Gerry Goffin, and initially recorded by American singer Thelma Houston in 1973, and then most notably by Diana Ross as the theme to the 1975 Motown/Paramount film Mahogany.
|"Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)"|
|Single by Diana Ross|
|from the album Mahogany|
|B-side||"No One's Gonna Be a Fool Forever"|
|Released||September 24, 1975|
|Diana Ross singles chronology|
|45 RPM promotional copy|
Special issue colored vinyl single
Recorded with a full orchestral accompaniment, "Theme from Mahogany" became one of the most recognizable elements of the film, receiving praise from many critics.
Release and track listingEdit
|7" vinyl single - US|
|1.||"Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)"||Gerry Goffin, Michael Masser||3:19|
|2.||"No One's Gonna Be a Fool Forever"||Michael Masser, Pam Sawyer||3:18|
- French singer Nicole Rieu released a French-language version the song (titled "En courant") as a single in 1976.
- Dinah Shore recorded the song for her album Dinah! in 1976.
- Taiwanese singer Tracy Huang included the song on the album Feelings in 1976.
- Johnny Mathis included the song on his album I Only Have Eyes for You in 1976.
- Elaine Paige included the song on her album Cinema in 1984.
- Slick Rick sang the chorus of the song near the end of his 1988 song, "Teenage Love".
- Pinhead Gunpowder included the song on their E.P Carry the Banner in 1994.
- Shirley Bassey included the song on her album Sings the Movies in 1995.
- Kelly Price used it as a hook on Diddy's "Do You Know" from his 1997 album No Way Out.
- Mariah Carey included the song on her 1998 compilation album, #1's, as an international bonus track.
- Jennifer Lopez included the song on her 1999 album On the 6, as an international bonus track.
- TobyMac sampled the hook for the song "Do You Know" on his 2001 album Momentum.
- Italian singer Amalia Gré included the song on her album Amalia Grè in 2003.
- Hong Kong singer Janice Vidal included the song in her album Do U Know (album) in 2006.
- Tina Arena included the song in her album Songs of Love & Loss in 2007.
- Me First and the Gimme Gimmes included the song on their album Have Another Ball in 2008.
- Belgian singer Andrei Lugovski included the song on his 2009 album My World.
- Lara Fabian included the song for her acoustic album Every Woman in me in 2009.
- Fictional singer Steven Clark performed the song in the 2012 film God Bless America.
- Filipina singer Juris Fernandez included the song on the album Dreaming of You in 2012.
- Jake Zyrus included the song on the album Chapter 10 in 2013.
- Pianist Richard Clayderman included the song on his album Essential Love Songs in 2015.
- Rapper Big Sean and producer Metro Boomin sampled the song on their 2017 album Double or Nothing.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas (2003). "Diana Ross". In Bogdanov, Vladimir; Woodstra, Chris; Erlewine, Stephen Thomas (eds.). All Music Guide to Soul. Allmusic. San Francisco: Backbeat Books. p. 587. ISBN 0-87930-744-7. Retrieved 2008-05-17.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 210.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970-1992. St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "CAN Charts > Diana Ross". RPM. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Do You Know Where You're Going To". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- "Charts.nz – Diana Ross – Do You Know Where You're Going To". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved July 13, 2018.
- "UK Charts > Diana Ross". Official Charts. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-1990 - ISBN 9780898200898
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-06-11.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Adult Contemporary Music Chart". Billboard. 1975-12-06. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Archived from the original on 2016-01-23. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "Top 100 1976 - UK Music Charts". Uk-charts.top-source.info. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1976/Top 100 Songs of 1976". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- Top 50 Adult Contemporary Hits of 1976
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-10-21. Retrieved 2016-06-05.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)