|Born||27 October 1987|
She is known for her collaboration song with SoulJa, "Koko ni Iru yo" and her answer song "Soba ni Iru ne". In September 2008, the Guinness World Records certified that "Soba ni Iru ne" was the best-selling digital download single in Japan with over two million "full-track" downloads (Chaku Uta Full). Including various forms of digital downloads, it sold over 8.7 million downloads by November 2008. The Guinness record was surpassed by Greeeen's song "Kiseki" in June 2009.
She was born Thelma Juri Aoyama (青山テルマじゅり) and spent six years at Osaka International School as an elementary school student. At age 12, her family moved to Torrance, California, where she lived for two years and attended Calle Mayor Middle School. She returned to Japan in the winter of 2002, settling in Tokyo. Aoyama attended the American School in Japan. She attended Sophia University.
Aoyama was inspired to become a performer by Janet Jackson. Her first release in the music world was a collaboration on DS455's single "Summer Paradise: Risin' To Tha Sun, feat. Aoyama Thelma". The single reached #46 on the Oricon charts. On 9 September 2007, Aoyama made her solo debut with the single "One Way". This single debuted at No. 98 on the Oricon charts. Two weeks later, Aoyama was featured on the hit single "Koko ni Iru yo" with fellow J-Soul artist SoulJa. The single stayed on the charts for many weeks. The single sold over 100,000 copies and reached No. 6 on the charts.
In early 2008, Aoyama released an answer song to the single "Koko ni Iru yo" by SoulJa with her own single titled "Soba ni Iru ne" which also featured SoulJa. The songs are similar, and share the same chorus. However, the song "Soba ni Iru ne" proved to be more popular than the song "Koko ni Iru yo", debuting at No. 3 in its first week on the Oricon charts, and in its second week reached No. 1 on the charts. "Soba ni Iru ne" stayed in the Top 5 ranking for 7 consecutive weeks. It became the highest-selling female single (strictly a duet song) on the Oricon 2008 yearly charts.
Her debut album, Diary, was released in Japan on 26 March 2008.
On 11 February 2009, she released the album Love!: Thelma Love Song Collection, which debuted at the number-one position on the Oricon weekly charts. Her album Emotions was released in September 2009.
Aoyama's single "Kaeru Basho" was released on 3 March 2010. The song was used in the movie Doraemon: Nobita's Great Battle of the Mermaid King. This single features SoulJa, and has a B side called "Anata ga Kiechaisode". Summer Love!! featuring Red Rice came out in 2010.
In 2010, she sang with the Taiwan pop group Da Mouth in a duet with the female lead singer Aisa, on the song "Secret Life". The song appears on the album Da First Episode.
Aoyama collaborated with Korean girl group 4Minute on the single, "Without U", released on 25 May 2011. The English version was released on 7 May 2011.
- 青山テルマ、ギネス認定...そばにいるね「日本で最も売れた着うたフル楽曲」. Sports Hochi (in Japanese). 12 September 2008. Archived from the original on 15 September 2008. Retrieved 8 December 2008.
- 青山テルマ、紅白発表日も１限から授業. Nikkan Sports (in Japanese). 26 November 2008. Retrieved 8 December 2008.
- 「キセキ」着うたフルＤＬでギネス申請. Sports Nippon (in Japanese). 29 May 2009. Archived from the original on 1 June 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2009.
- "GReeeeN、「キセキ」がギネス認定" (in Japanese). Barks.jp. 2 July 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2009.
- "Profile of Thelma Aoyama". Thelma Archives. 2009. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- "2008 Yearly Singles Rankings" (in Japanese). Oricon. 11 December 2008. Retrieved 11 December 2008.
- Kim, Hannah (24 December 2009). "Tae Yang and Thelma Aoyama set to release a new single". JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 27 December 2009.
- "hide Tribute VI -Female SPIRITS-". cdjapan.jp. Retrieved 15 December 2013.