The Yogi Bear Show
The Yogi Bear Show is an American animated television series centering around the misadventures of forest dwelling bear Yogi in Jellystone Park. The show debuted in syndication on January 30, 1961 and ran for 33 episodes until January 6, 1962. Two other segments for the show was, Snagglepuss and Yakky Doodle. The show had a two-year production run.
|The Yogi Bear Show|
|Theme music composer||Hoyt Curtin|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||33 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||24 min.|
|Production company(s)||Hanna-Barbera Productions|
|Original release||January 30, 1961 –|
January 6, 1962
|Followed by||Yogi Bear & Friends|
|Related shows||The Huckleberry Hound Show|
Yogi Bear (voiced by Daws Butler impersonating Art Carney) and Boo-Boo Bear (voiced by Don Messick) reside in Jellystone Park and would often try to steal picnic baskets while evading Ranger Smith (voiced by Don Messick). Yogi also has a relationship with his girlfriend Cindy Bear (voiced by Julie Bennett).
Yakky Doodle (voiced by Jimmy Weldon in the style of Donald Duck) is a duck who lives with his best friend Chopper the Bulldog (voiced by Vance Colvig impersonating Wallace Beery). Chopper would usually protect Yakky from being eaten by Fibber Fox (voiced by Daws Butler impersonating Shelley Berman) or Alfy Gator (voiced by Daws Butler impersonating Alfred Hitchcock).
Yogi Bear (voiced by Daws Butler impersonating Art Carney) and Boo Boo Bear reside in Jellystone Park and would often try to steal picnic baskets while evading Ranger Smith (voiced by Don Messick). Yogi also has a relationship with his girlfriend Cindy Bear (voiced by Julie Bennett).
Boo-Boo Bear (voiced by Don Messick) is Yogi's diminutive sidekick who tries, and never succeeds to warn Yogi that "Mr. Ranger" wouldn't like Yogi to steal picnic baskets. He only wears a purple bowtie.
The head ranger who argues with Yogi stealing picnic baskets. He wears a traditional ranger costume.
Cindy Bear (voiced by Julie Bennett) is the girlfriend of Yogi Bear. She speaks with a pronounced Southern accent and carries a parasol.
- Daws Butler - Yogi Bear, Snagglepuss, Fibber Fox, Alfy Gator, Various
- Don Messick - Boo Boo Bear, Ranger Smith, Major Minor, Narrator, Various
- Julie Bennett - Cindy Bear, Various
- Vance Colvig - Chopper, Various
- Jimmy Weldon - Yakky Doodle
Spin-offs, movies and specialsEdit
Following the show's cancellation in 1962, many spin-off incarnations, feature movies and specials first appeared.
- Hey There, It's Yogi Bear!, released to theaters in 1964 by Columbia Pictures.
- Yogi's Ark Lark, a one-hour special first aired in 1972, in which Yogi and fellow Hanna-Barbera stars goes on a journey to find the perfect place.
- Yogi's Gang, which spun-off from Yogi's Ark Lark, ran for one season on ABC in 1973.
- Laff-A-Lympics, first aired on ABC in 1977.
- Yogi's Space Race, featuring Yogi and friends in an outer space race, aired on NBC in 1978.
- Yogi's First Christmas, a made-for-television movie, premiered in 1980.
- Yogi Bear's All Star Comedy Christmas Caper, a special first aired in 1982.
- Yogi's Treasure Hunt, first aired in syndication as part of The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera in 1985, featured Yogi and pals hunting for lost treasure.
- Yogi's Great Escape, a 1987 television film, part of Superstars 10.
- Yogi Bear and the Magical Flight of the Spruce Goose, a 1987 television film, part of Superstars 10.
- Yogi and the Invasion of the Space Bears, a 1988 television film, part of Superstars 10.
- The New Yogi Bear Show, a 1988 update of the 1961 original, first aired in syndication.
- Wake, Rattle, and Roll (Fender Bender 500 segment only), first aired in syndication and later on The Disney Channel in 1990.
- Yo Yogi!, featuring Yogi and the gang as teenagers, first aired on NBC in 1991.
- Yogi the Easter Bear, first aired in 1994, syndicated.
- Arabian Nights (Aliyah-Din and the Magic Lamp segment only), first aired on TBS, also in 1994.
- Yogi Bear, a live action/CGI film, released to theaters in 2010 by Warner Bros.
On November 15, 2005, Warner Home Video (via Hanna-Barbera Productions and Warner Bros. Family Entertainment) released the complete series on region 1 DVD. A Region 2 DVD was later released on January 31, 2011. A Region 4 DVD was later released on September 6, 2011
|Title||Ep #||Release date||Notes|
|The Yogi Bear Show - The Complete Series||33||November 15, 2005||
The earlier Yogi Bear cartoons from Season 1 of The Huckleberry Hound Show can be found on The Huckleberry Hound Show Volume 1.
In other languagesEdit
- Sennett, Ted (1989). The Art of Hanna-Barbera: Fifty Years of Creativity. New York: Viking Penguin. pp. 63–64. ISBN 0-670-82978-1.
- Browne, Pat (2001). The guide to United States popular culture (Illustrated ed.). Madison, Wisconsin: University of Wisconsin Press. p. 944. ISBN 978-0-87972-821-2. Retrieved August 16, 2009.
- The Cartoon Scrapbook – Profile on Yogi Bear