The Woodpecker Song
"The Woodpecker Song" (Reginella Campagnola) is originally an Italian song. The music was written by Eldo Di Lazzaro in 1939, while the Italian lyrics were written by Bruno Cherubini (pseudonym "C. Bruno"). The English lyrics were written by Harold Adamson. The song became a hit in 1940, recorded by Glenn Miller and His Orchestra, The Andrews Sisters, and Kate Smith in 1940.
- Glenn Miller & His Orchestra. Vocalist: Marion Hutton. Recorded on January 29, 1940. Released on a 78 rpm A side single record by Bluebird Records as catalog number 10598 backed with "Let's All Sing Together". It "ranked third in jukeboxes in 1940."
- The Andrews Sisters. Recorded on February 21, 1940. Released on a 78 rpm record by Decca Records as catalog number 3065A.
- Kate Smith with Jack Miller Orchestra. Recorded on February 25, 1940. Released on a 78 rpm record by Columbia Records as catalog number 35398.
- Josephine Siao (蕭芳芳). Recorded in Cantonese under the title of "Swallow Flying In Pair" (燕雙飛) in 1967 and released by Fung Hang Record (風行唱片) of Hong Kong under catalog number FHEP400 as one of the theme songs of Cantonese movie You Are My Love (我的愛人就是你).
- Two greek versions were released in 1940 with different titles and lyrics.The first one was 'Μικρη χωριατοπουλα"(Little country girl) recorded by Rena Vlahopoulou and also by Photis Polymeris with lyrics by Paul Menestrel.The second one "Κοροιδο Μουσσολινι"
was a satirical version for the Italian dictator Mussolini with lyrics by Yiorgos Economidis,who also recorded the song.
- The Woodpecker Song Lyrics
- Gilliland, John (1994). Pop Chronicles the 40s: The Lively Story of Pop Music in the 40s (audiobook). ISBN 978-1-55935-147-8. OCLC 31611854. Tape 2, side A.
- Song artist 11 - Glenn Miller.tsort.info.
- Bluebird Records in the 10500 - 10999 series
- Decca Records in the 3000 - 3499 series
- Columbia Records in the 35200 to 35499 series
- Original soundtrack EP record of movie <You Are My Love (我的愛人就是你)>