The Way We Were (2014 TV series)
The Way We Were (Chinese: 16個夏天) also known as 16 Summers is a 2014 Taiwanese romance drama produced by Ruby Lin and Lisa Tan (Lin's agent) and directed by Fu-Hsiang Hsu (許富翔). It stars Lin, Weber Yang, Ann Hsu, Melvin Sia and Jason Tsou (鄒承恩) as five friends who met in college in late-1990s Taipei. The series narrates a love and friendship story that spans 16 years, from the summer of 1998 to 2014. It is set against major events that occurred in Taiwan during the 16 summers, such as the 729 blackout, 921 earthquake, SARS and the Financial crisis of 2007–08.
|The Way We Were|
|Also known as||16 Summers|
|Mandarin||Shí Liù Gè Xià Tiān|
|Written by||Zheng-Zhe Du|
|Directed by||Fu-Hsiang Hsu|
|Opening theme||"Langman Lai Xi"|
|Ending theme||"Yihou Bie Zuo Pengyou"|
|Country of origin||Republic of China (Taiwan)|
|Original language(s)||Mandarin, Taiwanese|
|No. of episodes||16|
|Executive producer(s)||Wang Zhuan Ren|
|Production location(s)||Taiwan, Shanghai|
|Running time||90 minutes (per episode)|
Public Television Service
|First shown in||Taiwan|
|Original release||19 July –|
01 November 2014
According to online statistics collected by the website dailyview.tw, it was the most popular Taiwanese idol dramas in 2014. Another website 7headlines.com ranked it the second most popular Taiwanese drama of 2014, after In a Good Way (which began broadcasting in 2013 and was therefore not included in dailyview.tw's ranking). Google ranked it the second most-searched TV series in Taiwan in 2014, after the Korean drama Empress Ki.
While in college, Jia-Ni Tang (Ruby Lin) falls in love with her schoolmate and neighbour, Wei-De Fang (Weber Yang), after she agrees with Wei-De's idea of an eye for an eye, when she catches her boyfriend cheating with another girl. However, broader events intervene in their romance: during the historic 921 earthquake in Taiwan, Jia Ni's friend Jun-Jie Wang (Melvin Sia) becomes crippled in one leg. Out of obligation and compassion, Jia-Ni decides to marry Jun-Jie. When Jia Ni and Wei-De run into each other again in 2008, she is a married woman and he is about to walk down the aisle. They are still in love but part as friends. But when fate brings the two back together at another wedding in 2013, will they make the same decision?
- Ruby Lin as Jia-Ni Tang
- Weber Yang as Wei-De Fang
- Jason Tsou as Guo-Qing Ding
- Ann Hsu as Rui-Rui Zheng
- Melvin Sia as Jun-Jie Wang
- Queenie Tai as Ge Qing
- Ke Shu Qin as Linda
- Dylan Kuo as Jiang Da-wei (cameo) 
- Akio Chen as Wei-De's Father
- Lu Hsueh-Feng as Jia-Ni's Mother
- Lo Pei-An as Jia-Ni's Father
- Pang Yong Zhi as Tang Jia-Xing (Jia-Ni's brother)
- Albee Liu as Jia-Ni's sister-in-law
- Tao Chuan-Cheng as Jun-Jie's Father
- He Ai Yun as Jun-Jie's Mother
- Chen Shi-Rong as Guo-Qing's Mother
- Gao Ting Yu as Xiao Yao (Jia-Ni's co-worker)
- Yu Jin as Ah Tai (Ding Guo-Qing's brother)
- Kelly Mi as Wei-De's Mother
- Lu Ying Rong as Xiao Mei
- Hank Wu as Jian Zhong
- Liu Sai Yang as Jiang Hua
- Lai Li Hua as Chen Li
- Yang Qing as Shu Ling
- Zhang Xi En as Luo Xiao Jun
- Shan Cheng-Ju as Jin Ge
- Renzo Liu as Liang Ge
- Yao Mi as Bao Bao
- Eric Chou as pop singer
- Pauline Lan & TOLAKU as themselves (cameo)
The Way We Were Original Soundtrack (16個夏天 電視原聲帶) was released on September 24, 2014 by various artists under Sony Music Entertainment (Taiwan) Ltd. It contains 15 songs, in which of them are instrumental versions of some songs.
|Opening Song||"Lang Man Lai Xi"
(浪漫來襲; "Romantic Attack")
|Elva Hsiao||Hsu Shih-Chen||Peter Mansson|
|Ending Song||"Yi Hou Bie Zuo Peng You"
(以後别做朋友; "Don't Be Friends From Now On")
|Eric Chou||Wu Yi-wei||Eric Chou|
|Insert Songs||"Ru Guo Bi Ci"
(如果彼此; "If Each Other")
|Ai Yi-liang||Jopo Chou||Justin Cho|
|"Wo Bu Zhi Dao Ai Shi Shen Me"
(我不知道愛是什麼; "I Don't Know What Love Is")
|Ai Yi-liang||Jin Guisheng|
|"Ai Zou Diao"
(愛走掉; "Gone Is Love")
|Hu Xia||Ho Chi-hung||Eric Chou|
|1990s Songs featured in the drama ||"Ai Ni Deng Yu Ai Zi Ji"
(愛你等於愛自己; "Loving You Is Loving Me")
|Wang Leehom||Lin Xi||James Gicho|
|"Gong Zhuan Zi Zhuan"
|Wang Leehom||Yao Chien||Samuel Waermö|
|"Bubai de Lianren"
(不敗的戀人; "Unbeatable Lover")
|Vivian Hsu||Sugar Lee||Tao Zongci|
|"Ni de Dianhua"
(你的電話; "Your Phone Call")
Pauline Lan and the band TOLAKU appear in ep.5 as themselves, performing their song on stage.
It began filming in Taipei, Taiwan, on 31 March 2014 and ended on 1 July 2014. It reported more than 2 million NTD were spent on 2 days of filming in Shanghai. It first aired in Taiwan on the Public Television Service and TVBS on 19 July 2014. And at same time, it aired in China by online video platform site iQIYI.
As her production, Lin invited good friends of her as cameo role or mentioned them by characters. Dylan Kuo guest stars in the earlier episodes, as he said "(I) have to be in Ruby Lin’s drama." His character mentioned Peter Ho's name in ep.1 as an in-joke; Ho is a good friend of Kuo and Lin's in real life. In ep.3, Ruby Lin's character watched celebrity Alec Su on TV. It was another in-joke since Lin had been very good friends with Su since 1997, with the media over the years frequently asking them whether they were dating. Lin's own name as well as her claim-to-fame TV series My Fair Princess (1998-1999) are also mentioned in several episodes as in-jokes.
In addition, every episode begins with a short message from a celebrity friend of Lin's on the topic of "farewell", including Kevin Tsai (ep.1), Zhang Ziyi (ep.2), Mark Chao (ep.3), Peter Ho (ep.4), Vivian Hsu (ep.5), Jerry Yan (ep.6), Huang Xiaoming (ep.7), Tony Yang (ep.8), David Tao (ep.9), Patty Hou (ep.10), Huang Bo (ep.11), Shu Qi (ep.12), Cecilia Cheung (ep.13), Richie Jen (ep.14), Rainie Yang (ep.15), and Ethan Juan (ep.16).
- December 17, 2014: The Way We Were (DVD) (Taiwan Version) (16個夏天 (DVD)(台灣版)) - Public Television Service Foundation. (TW) - DVD Region 3 - 8 Dics (Ep.1-16)
Lan Zu-wei, chairman of the 50th Golden Bell Awards jury and film critic, said “The Way We Were” is an outstanding production on the strength of its complete storyline and high artistic and commercial values. The series was praised for using character modeling, transformation of Taiwan's landscape and changes in characters' personalities to show 16 years of changes in the Taiwanese society. “The Way We Were” selected as top ten 2015 Chinese-language TV series by Yazhou Zhoukan (Asia Weekly).
|The 50th Golden Bell Awards||Best Television Series||The Way We Were||Won|
|Best Actress||Ruby Lin||Nominated|
|Best Actor||Weber Yang||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actress||Ann Hsu||Won|
|Best Supporting Actor||Melvin Sia||Nominated|
|Best Directing||Fu-Hsiang Hsu||Won|
|Best Writing||Zheng-Zhe Du||Nominated|
|The 20th Asian Television Awards||Best Actress||Ruby Lin||Nominated|
|The 8th Straits Film and Television Festival Awards||Favorite Taiwanese TV drama||Won|
On 12 August, Taiwan Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said The Way We Were is to be broadcast on 13 TV channels in Honduras, Guatemala, Panama, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Paraguay and the Dominican Republic — seven of Taiwan's 22 diplomatic allies — and in Argentina, Colombia and Mexico. It was chosen by the ministry following a strict screening process and will be the second Taiwanese TV series to be aired in Latin America.
|PTS||Taiwan||July 19, 2014||Saturday 09:00-10:30 pm|
|TVBS||July 19, 2014||Saturday 10:00-11:30 pm|
|KTSF||United States||March 3, 2015||Mon-Fri 09:00-10:00 pm|
|KSCI||March 9, 2015||Mon-Fri 12:00-01:00 pm|
|TVB Chinese Drama||Hong Kong||April 4, 2015||Saturday 13:00-14:55pm|
|TVB J2||August 30, 2016||Mon-Fri 19:00-20:00pm|
|LS Times TV||Canada||June, 2015||Mon-Fri 13:00-14:45pm|
|Astro Shuang Xing||Malaysia||August 5, 2015||Sun-Thurs 16:00-17:00pm|
|SDTV||Mainland China||March 11, 2016||Mon-Sun 22:00-23:40pm|
|VTV3||Vietnam||December 12, 2016||Mon-Sun 17:00-19:00pm|
|Willax||Peru||May 21, 2018||Mon-Fri 05:00pm|
- Ruby Lin promotes TV series 'The Way We Were'. china daily. April 22, 2014.
- 林心如自曝单身没追求者. Yule.com. June 11, 2014.
- Google公布爆紅電視劇搜尋榜 《奇皇后》壓倒《16夏》
- 50th Golden Bell Awards Nominations Yesasia. August 28, 2015.
- 'The Way We Were' wins Golden Bell award for best television series Chinapost. September 27, 2015.
- 從A咖降為男二 郭品超為林心如劈腿. Udn.com. June 7, 2014.
- =索尼周兴哲新鲜出道 单曲被林心如钦定成影视片尾曲 iFeng Music. July 31, 2014.
- 《16個夏天》老歌串場 配樂飄懷舊FU udn.com. July 21, 2014.
- 《16個夏天》老歌串場！許瑋甯唱「不敗的戀人」 ETtoday. August 18, 2014.
- 林心如成炙手可熱的製作人！年底開拍新戲《十六個夏天》 Archived 2012-07-04 at the Wayback Machine. China Yes. May 21, 2013.
- 《16個夏天》上海取景兩天燒200萬. China Daily. June 13, 2014.
- 林心如《16个夏天》爆亲密剧照 内地台湾同步播出 Xi Hua News. July 14, 2014.
- 帶小三買保險套、上賓館 郭品超大方直呼「好過癮！」. Wow news. June 06, 2014.
- 林心如为新作《16个夏天》动用人脉 群集大咖另类客串助阵 iFeng.com . July 24, 2014.
- 十六个夏天惊现 苏有朋 Ruby Lin's Baidu board. August 02, 2014.
- Taiwanese actress Ruby Lin tries her hand at producing Archived 2014-04-26 at the Wayback Machine straitstimes.com. May 27, 2013.
- 林心如飙人脉 大咖接力加持夏天 Chinatimes. July 22, 2014.
-  Taiwan version DVD. Retrieved 1-20-2016
- TV Golden Bell Awards nominees shortlisted taiwantoday. Retrieved 09-02-2015
- 'The Way We Were' wins Golden Bell award for best television series chinapost. Retrieved 09-29-2015
- 《亞洲週刊》2015十大華語電視劇 Asia weekly. Retrieved 02-06-2016
- Soap opera to air in Latin America taipeitimes. Retrieved 08-06-2016
- Taiwanese drama to air in Spanish-speaking countries chinapost. Retrieved 08-06-2016