The Walls of Hell
The Walls of Hell, also known as Intramuros is a 1964 Philippine-American film directed by Eddie Romero and Gerardo de Leon and starring Jock Mahoney. The film was made back-to-back with Moro Witch Doctor (1964). It was produced by Hemisphere Pictures (owned by Eddie Romero, Irwin Pizor and Kane W. Lynn).
|The Walls of Hell|
|Written by||E.F. Romero|
|Music by||Tito Arevalo|
|Edited by||Ben Barcelon|
|Distributed by||Hemisphere Pictures|
In World War II during the Battle of Manila, fanatical Japanese soldiers fighting for their lives barricade themselves inside the walls of "Intramuros", the ancient Spanish walled city of Manila. The United States artillery is bombing them continuously, and the Japanese are holding thousands of innocent Filipino citizens hostage. An American reporter named Murray (Paul Edwards Jr.) arrives at the front where a guerrilla unit led by a Lt. Sorenson (Jock Mahoney) makes contact with a young Filipino guerilla named Nardo (Fernando Poe Jr.) who had escaped from Intramuros through a sewer tunnel. Nardo tells Sorenson that his wife is among the prisoners and that the sewer system can be used to rescue the hostages. As shells rain down on the walled city, the American forces invade the area. Sorenson is reunited with his wife, and the military forces its way into the burning city.
- Jock Mahoney as Lt. Jim Sorenson
- Fernando Poe Jr. as Sgt. Nardo Maglaya
- Michael Parsons as Papa
- Oscar Roncal as Joker
- Paul Edwards Jr. as Murray
- Ely Ramos Jr. as Jose
- Fred Galang as Pedring
- Vance Skarstedt as Maj. Briggs
- Cecilia Lopez as Tina
- Arsenio Alonzo
- Claude Wilson as Major
- Pedro Navarro
- Carpi Asturias
- Andres Centenera
- Paquito Salcedo
- Alex Swanbeck
- Tommy Romulo
- Willie Salcedo
- Angel Buenaventura
- George Kramer
- Ray, Fred Olen (1991). The New Poverty Row: Independent Filmmakers as Distributors. McFarland. p. 65. ISBN 9780899506289.
- Leavold, Andrew (2006). "Strong Coffee with a National Treasure:An Interview with Eddie Romero". Cashiers du Cinemart.
- SERVER, LEE, and EDDIE ROMERO. “EDDIE ROMERO: Our Man in Manila.” Film Comment, vol. 35, no. 2, 1999, pp. 44–51. JSTOR, JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/43455360.
- Vera, Noel (21 February 2003). "Hell on earth". Businessworld. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- Dolor, Danny (14 November 2015). "FPJ-Saxon starrer: Tagalog, English versions showing simultaneously". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- Weiler, A.H. (18 November 1965). "The Walls of Hell'". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- Vera, Noel (2005). Critic After Dark: A Review Of Philippine Cinema. Manila: BigO Books. ISBN 9789810531850.
|This article about a film made in the Philippines is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|