The Wailers Band
The Wailers Band
|Labels||Island Records, Atlantic Records, Tabu Records, RAS Records|
|Associated acts||Bob Marley & the Wailers |
The Original Wailers
|Members||Aston "Family Man" Barrett|
Aston Barrett, Jr.
Owen "Dreadie" Reid
Josh David Barrett
|Past members||Carlton Barrett|
Alvin "Seeco" Patterson
Earl "Wire" Lindo
Irvin "Carrot" Jarrett
Kevin "Yvad" Davy
Ras Mel Glover
"Drummie Zeb" Williams
Previous Wailers' incarnationsEdit
The Wailers began as Bob Marley, Bunny Livingston and Peter Tosh. Following the 1974 parting of The Wailers, Bob Marley proceeded with his group Bob Marley & The Wailers, with the Wailers Band as the backing band, and the I Threes (Rita Marley, Judy Mowatt, & Marcia Griffiths) as backup vocalists. The Wailers Band consisted of, among others, bassist Aston "Family Man" Barrett and his brother, drummer Carlton "Carly" Barrett, who had been members of Lee "Scratch" Perry's studio band, The Upsetters, with whom The Wailers had recorded some of their most notable songs.
After the death of Bob Marley in 1981, the Wailers Band was led by Aston Barrett and Junior Marvin. The band continued to play a heavy worldwide touring schedule. Carlton "Carly" Barrett, 36, was tragically murdered at his Jamaica home in 1987.
In 2014 The Wailers embarked on a worldwide "Legend Tour", marking the 30th anniversary of the release of the best selling reggae album of all time.
In 2015 they performed in India for the first time.
In 2015, Familyman Barrett began the process of reuniting past members of the Wailers. Shows occurred in South America which included past members such as Barrett, Al Anderson, and Tyrone Downie. An Oct 2016 US tour recently took place, and a UK tour will soon follow.
The Wailers Reunited (2016)Edit
- Aston "Family Man" Barrett - bass
- Aston Barrett, Jr. - drums
- Junior Marvin - lead guitar & vocals
- Donald Kinsey - lead guitar
- Owen "Dreadie" Reid - rhythm guitar
- Josh David Barrett - lead vocals
- Javaughn Bond - keyboards
- Shema McGregor - vocals
2019 Touring Band:
- Legend Tour (Live) (1984)
- Lives On (Live) (1995)
- My Friends (Live '95-'97) (1997)
- Live at Maritime Hall (1999)
- Live In Jamaica (2001)
- Live (2003)
- Legend Live (2006)
With Other ArtistsEdit
- Reggae Vibration with Joe Yamanaka (1982)
- Reggae Vibration 2 with Joe Yamanaka (1983)
- It's About Time, with John Denver (1983)
- Reggae Vibration 3 with Joe Yamanaka (1984)
- Watchful Eyes Acclaimed LP for Jah Mel (1983)
- "Makisupa Policeman" for Sharin' in the Groove (2001)
- Jerusalem (Alpha Blondy album) (1986)
- Inkarnation, Iya Karna album with the Wailers (1986)
- "A Step for Mankind" with Duane Stephenson & Bishop Lamont, Solutions for Dreamers: Season 3 (2010)
- HiFi Calypso, with Karl Zéro (2004)
|Year||Single||Artist||Peak chart positions||Certifications
|2008||"Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven"||Kenny Chesney||1||41||49||
||Lucky Old Sun|
|2012||"Al Leila Ya Samra"||Mohamed Mounir||—||—||—||Arabiac Studio|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart.|
|2008||"Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven" (with Kenny Chesney)||Shaun Silva|
|2010||"A Step for Mankind" (feat. Duane Stephenson & Bishop Lamont)||Luke Archer |
|2013||"Spread The Love" (with Kenny Chesney)||Shaun Silva|
- Lee Scratch Perry Interview, New Musical Express, 17 November 1984
- "Wailers break ground in India", Jamaica Observer, 28 October 2015. Retrieved 1 November 2015
- "The Band". The Wailers. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- ""A Step for Mankind" by the Wailers (Music Video)". YouTube.com. Oniric Records. 16 September 2010. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
The single is "A Step for Mankind" by the Wailers featuring Duane Stephenson and Bishop Lamont. It is featured on Oniric Records' "Solutions for Dreamers : Season 3" benefit compilation album for the United Nations World Food Programme. Enjoy this beautiful Music Video put together by director Luke Archer.
- "American single certifications – Kenny Chesney – Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.