The Vision and the Scarlet Witch
|The Vision and the Scarlet Witch|
The Vision and the Scarlet Witch vol. 2 #1 (October 1985)
Art by Richard Howell
|Publication date||Volume 1: November 1982 – February 1983 |
Volume 2: October 1985 – September 1986
|No. of issues||Volume 1: 4|
Volume 2: 12
|Main character(s)||Scarlet Witch|
The first limited series was published in November 1982, for four issues. It was written by Bill Mantlo and pencilled by Rick Leonardi. In this series, the villain Magneto is retconned as the father of the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, and intending to give up his villainous life. The reveal had some previous clues released in the Avengers and X-Men titles and stayed as comic book canon for decades until it was undone in the 2014 crossover AXIS.
The second twelve-issue series was published in 1985, and was written by Steve Englehart, who had already worked with the characters in the Avengers comic book. In this second series, the Scarlet Witch becomes pregnant by magical means and delivers two sons. Englehart tried to keep the series self-contained, and made the characters resign from the Avengers to avoid having to stick to their events. He also omitted the theme of the racism towards mutants, considering that it was already dealt with at the X-Men's series. The comic book was more focused on family drama than superhero exploits. Magic was also a common topic but it was toned down in comparison with Englehart's run on Doctor Strange. Englehart lamented that the Scarlet Witch's motherhood did not stick, as the children were killed shortly after he ended writing the character.
- Avengers: Vision and the Scarlet Witch collects Giant-Size Avengers #4 and The Vision and the Scarlet Witch #1–4, 128 pages, May 2015, ISBN 978-0785197416
- Avengers: Vision & The Scarlet Witch - A Year in the Life collects The Vision and the Scarlet Witch vol. 2 #1–12, 344 pages, June 2010, ISBN 978-0785145080
- The Vision and the Scarlet Witch (1982 series) at the Grand Comics Database
- Rigley, Ryan (May 31, 2013). "Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch: Required Reading". MTV. Archived from the original on December 17, 2018. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- Cronin, Brian (January 25, 2015). "The Abandoned An' Forsaked – Magneto is Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's Dad…Or IS He?". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on December 17, 2018. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- The Vision and the Scarlet Witch (1985 series) at the Grand Comics Database
- Busiek, Kurt (August 1985). "The Marvel Age Interview: Steve Englehart". Avengers: Vision & The Scarlet Witch - A Year in the Life. Marvel Comics. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- Englehart, Steve (n.d.). "Steve Englehart Responds". Women in Refrigerators. Archived from the original on December 17, 2018. Retrieved May 18, 2017.