"The Very Thought of You" is a pop standard that was recorded and published in 1934 with music and lyrics by Ray Noble. The song was first recorded by Ray Noble and His Orchestra with Al Bowlly on vocals for HMV in England in April 1934. This record was then released in the United States by Victor, and it reached number one on the pop music charts.
|"The Very Thought of You"|
|Single by Ray Noble and His Orchestra|
|Published||1934 by Campbell, Connelly & Co|
The song was the subject of litigation in 1962. In 1934 Noble assigned the copyright to British publisher Campbell, Connelly & Company. But before the copyright was renewed, Noble assigned the United States copyright to M. Witmark & Sons. A suit was brought by Campbell, Connelly against Noble, stating that the assignment covered all rights, including rights in the U.S. A British High Court judge ruled in favor of Campbell, Connelly.
Charting cover versionsEdit
- In 1946, Luis Russell recorded the song, which went to number three on the Most-Played Juke Box Race Records charts.
- A rhythm and blues version by Little Willie John reached number 61 on the US Billboard Hot 100 in 1961.
- Three years later Ricky Nelson's rock and roll version reached No. 26 on the Billboard chart, lasting 7 weeks in the Hot 100, and crossing to No. 11 on the Billboard magazine Easy Listening chart.
- Natalie Cole reached #34 on the U.S. Adult Contemporary chart in the spring of 1992 with her version from her LP Unforgettable... with Love (1991). In Canada, her version spent two weeks at #19 Adult Contemporary.
- Colin Bratkovich (2014-05-08). Just Remember This. Xlibris Corporation. pp. 247–. ISBN 978-1-4836-4519-3.
- Joel Whitburn's Bubbling Under the Billboard Hot 100 1959-2004
- "British Ruling on Renewal Rights Studied for Import". Google Books. Nielsen Business Media. 1 December 1962. p. 6. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942–2004. Record Research. p. 507.
- "Hot 100 - Billboard". Billboard. April 3, 1961. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- "Natalie Cole – Unforgettable: With Love". Allmusic. Retrieved November 12, 2018.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. 1992-05-23. Retrieved 2021-01-01.