The Turning (2013 film)
The Turning is a 2013 Australian anthology film based on a collection of short stories by Tim Winton. It premiered at the Melbourne International Film Festival on 3 August 2013. It was nominated for the 2013 Asia Pacific Screen Award for Best Feature Film, and was screened in the Berlinale Special Galas section of the 64th Berlin International Film Festival.
Theatrical film poster
|Directed by||The Turning Ensemble|
|Produced by||Robert Connolly|
The Turning Ensemble
|Screenplay by||The Turning Ensemble|
|Based on||The Turning by|
|Starring||Cate Blanchett |
|Music by||The Turning Ensemble|
|Cinematography||The Turning Ensemble|
|Edited by||The Turning Ensemble|
- Cate Blanchett as Gail Lang
- Hugo Weaving as Bob Lang
- Miranda Otto as Sherry
- Richard Roxburgh as Vic Lang
- Rose Byrne as Rae
- Mirrah Foulkes as Fay Keenan
- Harrison Gilbertson as Victor
- Callan Mulvey as David Wilson
- Myles Pollard as Dan
- Susie Porter as Carol
- Matt Nable as Max
- Meyne Wyatt as Frank Leaper
18 directors worked on the film, including Mia Wasikowska, David Wenham, and Stephen Page who made their directorial debuts. Initially, Cate Blanchett also intended to direct before switching to an acting role, with Simon Stone taking her place behind the camera.
The Turning EnsembleEdit
LONG, CLEAR VIEW
BONER McPHARLIN'S MOLL
ON HER KNEES
90-minute broadcast versionEdit
The Turning was heavily cut down and rearranged for broadcast on ABC1, debuting on 23 February 2014. Running for approximately 90 minutes (as opposed to the 180-minute theatrical cut), only eight of the original 17 stories were included: "Reunion", "Aquifer", "On Her Knees", "The Turning", "Long, Clear View", "Commission", "Cockleshell", and "Sand". The remaining nine stories were made available online as multi-platform ABC iView content.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|Best Film||Robert Connolly||Nominated|
|The Turning Ensemble||Nominated|
|Best Adapted Screenplay||Nominated|
|Best Actor||Hugo Weaving||Nominated|
|Best Actress||Rose Byrne||Won|
|Best Supporting Actress||Mirrah Foulkes||Nominated|
|Best Editing||The Turning Ensemble||Nominated|
- Groves, Don (5 August 2013). "MIFF audiences respond to The Turning". if.com.au.
- "Winners & Nominees 2013". asiapacificscreenacademy.com. Archived from the original on 20 December 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- "Berlinale Special 2014". Berlinale. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- Hawker, Philippa (6 September 2013). "Fresh take". The Age.
- Knox, David (19 February 2014). "Airdate: Tim Winton's The Turning". TVTonight.com.au. Retrieved 8 April 2016.
- "The Turning - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 17 January 2015.