The Three Musketeers (1921 film)
The Three Musketeers is a 1921 American silent film based on the novel The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas, père. It was directed by Fred Niblo and stars Douglas Fairbanks as d'Artagnan. The film originally had scenes filmed in the Handschiegl Color Process (billed as the "Wyckoff-DeMille Process"). The film had a sequel, The Iron Mask (1929), also starring Fairbanks as d'Artagnan and DeBrulier as Cardinal Richelieu.
|The Three Musketeers|
|Directed by||Fred Niblo|
|Produced by||Douglas Fairbanks|
Alexandre Dumas (novel)|
Edward Knoblock (adaptation)
Lotta Woods (screenplay)
Marguerite De La Motte
|Music by||Louis F. Gottschalk|
|Edited by||Nellie Mason|
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|Box office||$1.5 million|
The athletic Douglas Fairbanks's one-handed handspring to grab a sword during a fight scene in this film is considered as one of the great stunts of the early cinema period.
Fairbanks biographer Jeffrey Vance enthuses, "The Three Musketeers was the first of the grand Fairbanks costume films, filled with exemplary production values and ornamentation. Indeed, one ornament extended beyond the film: Fairbanks wore d'Artagnan's moustache—cultivated for The Three Musketeers—to the end of his life. With The Three Musketeers, he at last found his metier and crystallized his celebrity and his cinema."
- Douglas Fairbanks as d'Artagnan
- Léon Bary as Athos
- George Siegmann as Porthos
- Eugene Pallette as Aramis
- Boyd Irwin as Comte de Rochefort
- Thomas Holding as Duke of Buckingham
- Sidney Franklin as Monsieur Bonacieux
- Charles Stevens as Planchet
- Nigel De Brulier as Cardinal Richelieu
- Willis Robards as Captain de Treville
- Lon Poff as Father Joseph
- Mary MacLaren as Queen Anne of Austria
- Marguerite De La Motte as Constance Bonacieux
- Barbara La Marr as Milady de Winter
- Walt Whitman as d'Artagnan's Father
- Adolphe Menjou as Louis XIII
- Charles Belcher as Bernajoux
- Balio, Tino (2009). United Artists: The Company Built by the Stars. University of Wisconsin Press. ISBN 978-0-299-23004-3. p42
- "The Three Musketeers". Silent Era. Carl Bennett and the Silent Era Company. 2015. Retrieved September 22, 2015.
- Vance, Jeffrey. Douglas Fairbanks (2008). Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. p. 105. ISBN 978-0520256675.