The Threat: How the FBI Protects America in the Age of Terror and Trump is a memoir written by Andrew McCabe, the former Deputy Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The book was published by St. Martin's Press on February 19, 2019.
|Published||February 19, 2019|
|Publisher||St. Martin's Press|
|Media type||Print, e-book, audiobook|
|LC Class||HV8144.F43 M386 2019|
Background and developmentEdit
McCabe was fired from the FBI in March 2018. That September, St. Martin's Press announced they had acquired the rights to publish a book written by McCabe. It was initially scheduled for release in December 2018, but a review of the book by the FBI delayed its release until February. The Atlantic published an excerpt of the book on February 14.
In the book, McCabe accuses President Donald Trump of acting like a mob boss and for the "strain of insanity" he has created in the United States government. McCabe discussed the dismissal of James Comey, the former director of the FBI. He states that Rod Rosenstein, the former Deputy Attorney General of the United States, opposed the memo he wrote justifying the firing of Comey, though he publicly supported it. After the firing, McCabe became acting director of the FBI, and describes in the book steps he took to ensure the investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 elections could continue even if he was fired, eventually leading to the Special Counsel investigation. McCabe said that Trump and White House Counsel Don McGahn offered him protection in return for his personal loyalty. The memoir states that Trump said of Venezuela that "That’s the country we should be going to war with, they have all that oil and they’re right on our back door.”
- Elving, Ron (February 14, 2019). "McCabe's 'The Threat' May Be Darkest Vision Of Trump Presidency Yet". Morning Edition. NPR. Retrieved December 16, 2019.
- Green, Lloyd (February 12, 2019). "The Threat review: Andrew McCabe FBI memoir aims at 'mob boss' Trump". The Guardian. Retrieved December 16, 2019.
- Garner, Dwight (February 16, 2019). "In 'The Threat,' Andrew McCabe Issues the Latest Warning Call About Trump's America". The New York Times. Retrieved December 16, 2019.
- Elber, Lynn (February 20, 2019). "Andrew McCabe, franchise shows give CBS weekly ratings win". Associated Press. Retrieved December 16, 2019.
- Miller, Greg (February 14, 2019). "Andrew McCabe's disturbing account of working for Sessions and Trump". The Washington Post. Retrieved December 16, 2019.
- Concha, Joe (September 18, 2018). "Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe lands book deal". The Hill. Retrieved February 9, 2019.
- "Andrew McCabe says his book has been delayed by FBI review". NBC News. Associated Press. October 11, 2018. Retrieved February 9, 2019.
- McCabe, Andrew G. (February 14, 2019). "Every Day Is a New Low in Trump's White House". The Atlantic.
- Swaine, Jon (February 8, 2019). "Rosenstein did not want to write memo justifying Comey firing – new book". The Guardian. London. Retrieved February 9, 2019.
- Frazin, Rachel (February 8, 2019). "McCabe accuses Trump of acting like mob boss in new book: report". The Hill. Retrieved February 9, 2019.
- "Andrew McCabe claims Trump wanted war in Venezuela because "they have all that oil"".
- After Words interview with McCabe on The Threat, March 2, 2019