The Target (film)
The Target (Korean: 표적; RR: Pyojeok) is a 2014 South Korean action thriller film starring Ryu Seung-ryong, Lee Jin-wook, Yoo Jun-sang and Kim Sung-ryung, and directed by Yoon Hong-seung (who also goes by the pseudonym Chang). It is a remake of the 2010 French film Point Blank.
|Produced by||Im Seung-yong |
|Written by||Jo Seong-geol |
|Starring||Ryu Seung-ryong |
|Music by||Park In-young|
|Edited by||Kim Chang-ju|
|Distributed by||CJ Entertainment|
|Box office||US$19.9 million|
Ex-mercenary killer Yeo-hoon has reformed and is leading a normal life. That is, until he winds up framed for the death of a prominent CEO. He escapes, takes a bullet and winds up in a hospital bed. A doctor at the hospital, medical resident Tae-joon, helps him to escape his pursuers. When Tae-joon's pregnant wife is kidnapped, the two men embark on a dangerous 36-hour chase.
- Ryu Seung-ryong as Baek Yeo-hoon
- Lee Jin-wook as Lee Tae-joon
- Yoo Jun-sang as Song Gi-cheol
- Kim Sung-ryung as Jung Young-joo
- Jo Yeo-jeong as Jung Hee-joo
- Jo Eun-ji as Park Soo-jin
- Jin Goo as Baek Sung-hoon
- Kim Dae-myung as Jang Gyu-ho
- Jang Joon-nyeong as Lee Jeong-soo
- Yeom Ji-yeong as Yoo Hyeon-young
- Lee Hyun-wook as Jo Sang-woo
- Jo Kyeong-hoon as Jang Pil-joo
- Kim Tae-hwan as Killer 1
- Ki Se-hyeong as Killer 2
- Joo Seok-je as Jang Jin-seong
- Kim Jong-gu as Chief of police
- Byun Sang-yoon as Yeong-joo team member
- Yoo Yeong-bok as Yang Dong-seok
- Wi Yang-ho as Arch king
- Jang Eun-seon as Ob/gyn female doctor
- Shin Dam-soo as Drunk
- Kim Young-jae as Prosecutor
The Target was released on April 30, 2014. It had a solid opening despite placing third at the box office, behind The Fatal Encounter (another Korean film released on the same day) and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. With a market share of 21.5%, it attracted 1.35 million admissions and ₩6.63 billion (US$6.46 million) in its first week.
On its second week, the film rose to second place at the box office, for a total of more than 2 million admissions from 716 screens nationwide.
- Lee, Eun-sun (15 May 2014). "Family matters a focus in Yoon's action film". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- Cremin, Stephen (22 May 2014). "Chang and Kim Seong-ryeong on Target". Film Business Asia. Archived from the original on 27 May 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-27.
- Ji, Yong-jin (9 May 2013). "RYU Seung-ryong Confirms He Will Appear in Remake of POINT BLANK". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- Tae, Sang-joon (7 November 2013). "Korean POINT BLANK Remake Goes Into Production". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- Kim, Hee-eun (20 March 2014). "Ryu returns with murder mystery film". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- Conran, Pierce (18 April 2014). "A GIRL AT MY DOOR Invited to Un Certain Regard". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- Lee, Claire (18 April 2014). "Three Korean films to be featured at Cannes". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- Conran, Pierce (27 May 2014). "Cannes Title THE TARGET Sells for CJ". Korean Cinema Today. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- Conran, Pierce (11 February 2014). "Gaumont and CJ Partner on THE TARGET". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- Kang, Jung-yeon (25 September 2013). "Cho Yeo-jeong Takes Part in Ryu Seung-ryong's Action Pic". TenAsia. Archived from the original on 26 April 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- Lee, Sun-min (26 September 2013). "Jo Yeo-jung picked for two movies". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- Ma, Kevin (6 May 2014). "Fatal Encounter has year's best opening". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 2014-05-20.
- Conran, Pierce (7 May 2014). "THE FATAL ENCOUNTER Scores Biggest Korean Opening of 2014". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2014-05-20.
- Kim, Hee-eun (13 May 2014). "Hyun Bin's Fatal Encounter a box-office winner". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-05-20.