The Sugarhill Gang
The Sugarhill Gang is an American hip hop trio. Their 1979 hit "Rapper's Delight" was the first rap single to become a Top 40 hit on the Billboard Hot 100. That was the trio's only U.S. hit, though they did have further success in Europe until the mid Eighties. The trio reformed in 1999 and did a world tour in 2016.
The Sugarhill Gang
The Sugarhill Gang performing in 2007 Mike & Master Gee
|Origin||Englewood, New Jersey, U.S.|
|Genres||Old-school hip hop, disco|
|Years active||1979–1985, 1994–present|
|Past members||Henry "Big Bank Hank" Jackson (deceased)|
Joey Robinson Jr. (deceased)
Formation and early yearsEdit
The members, all from Englewood, New Jersey, consisted of Michael "Wonder Mike" Wright, Henry "Big Bank Hank" Jackson, and Guy "Master Gee" O'Brien. The three were assembled into a group by producer Sylvia Robinson, who founded Sugar Hill Records with her husband, record producer Joe Robinson. The group and the record company were named after the Sugar Hill, Harlem, neighborhood.
Their 1979 hit "Rapper's Delight" was the first rap single to become a Top 40 hit on the Billboard Hot 100. The group never had another U.S. hit, though it had multiple European hits, such as "Apache", "8th Wonder" (which was performed on the American music show Soul Train in 1981), "Rapper's Reprise (Jam Jam)", and "Showdown" (with the Furious Five). The trio wound down in the late Eighties.
In 1999, the trio reunited and recorded Jump on It! a hip hop children's album.
After Wonder Mike and Hen Dogg left Sugarhill Records in 2005, the original members of Sugarhill Gang (besides Jackson) have performed as the Original Sugar and as Rapper's Delight Featuring Wonder Mike and Master Gee. This is largely due to a string of legal cases against them regarding the use of 'Sugarhill Gang' as their name.
On November 11, 2014, Big Bank Hank died at the age of 58 after a long battle with cancer.
In 2016, the remaining living members of the original Sugarhill Gang, including Wonder Mike, Hendogg and Master Gee embarked on their first world tour in over a decade under the name The Sugarhill Gang. During this, they performed as the Sugarhill Gang for the Art of Rap festival tour in 2016, and at V Festival in Hylands Park and Weston Park in the UK as part of their world tour in 2016. Other places included, the Clockenflap Festival in Hong Kong on November 27, 2016, and they headlined at the Depot in the Park Festival in Cardiff, United Kingdom on August 5, 2017. In July of 2019 they played the North Nibley Festival in Gloucestershire.
|The Sugarhill Gang discography|
The discography of The Sugarhill Gang includes five studio albums, nine compilations and fifteen singles.
|U.S. top 200||U.S. R&B||NZ|
|1983||Rappin' Down Town
|1984||Livin' in the Fast Lane
|1999||Jump on It!
- Sugarhill Gang Greatest Hits (1984)
- Rapper's Delight: The Best of Sugarhill Gang (1996)
- Ain't Nothin' but a Party (1998)
- Back to the Old School 2 - Rapper's Delights (1999)
- Sugarhill Gang, The* Vs. Grandmaster Flash - The Greatest Hits (2000)
- The Greatest Hits of Sugarhill Gang (2004 Tour) (2004)
- The Story of Sugarhill Records (2005)
- Hip Hop Anniversary Europe Tour: Sugarhill Gang Live (2008)
- Rhythm & Rhymes: The Definitive Collection (2010)
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
|U.S.||U.S. R&B||U.S. Club Play||NZ||UK|
|1979||"Rapper's Delight"||36||4||14||18||3||Sugarhill Gang|
|1980||"Rapper's Reprise (Jam Jam)"||—||—||—||—||—|
|"8th Wonder"||82||15||38||—||—||8th Wonder|
|"Showdown" (credited as The Furious Five meets The Sugarhill Gang)||—||49||—||—||—|
|1982||"The Lover in You"||—||55||—||—||54||Rappin Down Town|
|1983||"The Word Is Out"||—||71||—||—||—|
|"Be a Winner"||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Kick It Live from 9 to 5" / "The Lover in You"||—||50||—||—||—||Livin' in the Fast Lane|
|1984||"Livin' in the Fast Lane"||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Troy" / "Girls"||—||—||—||—||—|
|"The Down Beat"||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|1985||"Work, Work the Body"||—||—||—||—||—|
|1989||"Rapper's Delight (Hip Hop Remix '89)"||—||—||—||34||58|
|2009||"Lala Song" (credited as Bob Sinclar featuring The Sugarhill Gang)||—||—||—||—||—|
- "Sugar Hill Gang bio". allmusic.com. Retrieved April 12, 2012.
- Perrone, Pierre (2011-10-04). "Sylvia Robinson: Hitmaker who co-founded Sugar Hill Records and became known as 'the mother of hip-hop'". The Independent. London. Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- John Bush. "The Sugarhill Gang Biography". allmusic.com.
- "Jump on It! - The Sugarhill Gang - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic.
- Guse, Clayton (November 11, 2014). "Big Bank Hank from Sugarhill Gang dead at age 58". Suntimes.com. Sun Times National. Archived from the original on November 11, 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Sugarhill Gang- Rappin Down Town @Discogs.com Retrieved 12-24-2011.
- Livin' in the Fast Lane (album?) at Discogs (list of releases)