The Spoilers (1923 film)
The Spoilers is a 1923 American silent drama film directed by Lambert Hillyer. It is set in Nome, Alaska during the 1898 Gold Rush, with Milton Sills as Roy Glennister, Anna Q. Nilsson as Cherry Malotte, and Noah Beery as Alex McNamara. The film culminates in a saloon fistfight between Glennister and McNamara.
|Directed by||Lambert Hillyer|
|Produced by||Jesse D. Hampton|
|Written by||Elliott J. Clawson|
|Based on||The Spoilers|
by Rex Beach
Anna Q. Nilsson
Noah Beery Sr.
Jesse D. Hampton Productions
|Distributed by||Goldwyn Pictures|
|80 minutes; 8,020 feet|
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
The Spoilers was adapted to screen by Elliott J. Clawson from the 1906 Rex Beach novel of the same name. Film versions also appeared in 1914, 1930 (with Gary Cooper as Glennister), 1942 (with John Wayne as Glennister, Marlene Dietrich as Malotte, and Randolph Scott as McNamara), and finally in 1955.
The character of Cherry Malotte also appears in Beach's The Silver Horde.
- Milton Sills as Roy Glennister
- Anna Q. Nilsson as Cherry Malotte
- Barbara Bedford as Helen Chester
- Robert Edeson as Joe Dextry
- Ford Sterling as Slapjack Simms
- Wallace MacDonald as Broncho Kid
- Noah Beery Sr. as Alex McNamara
- Mitchell Lewis as Marshall Voorhees
- John Elliott as Bill Wheaton, Attorney
- Robert McKim as Struve
- Rockliffe Fellowes as Matthews
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Spoilers (1923 film).|