The Shaukeens is a 2014 Indian comedy film directed by Abhishek Sharma. The film features Anupam Kher, Annu Kapoor, Piyush Mishra, and Lisa Haydon in the lead roles, and Akshay Kumar in a supporting role.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Abhishek Sharma|
|Produced by||Ashwin Varde|
Trilogic Digital Media
|Written by||Tigmanshu Dhulia|
|Screenplay by||Tigmanshu Dhulia|
Yo Yo Honey Singh
Arko Pravo Mukherjee
|Edited by||Rameshwar S. Bhagat|
Cape of Good Films
|Distributed by||AA Films|
|Box office||est. ₹46.39 crore|
The project is a remake of the 1982 film Shaukeen directed by Basu Chatterjee, starring Ashok Kumar, Utpal Dutt, A. K. Hangal, Rati Agnihotri, and Mithun Chakraborty. Partly shot in Mauritius, The Shaukeens was released on 7 November 2014.
The movie revolves around three old men. Ashok Lalwani alias Lali, (Anupam Kher) is not happy with his wife (Rati Agnihotri), who is a staunch believer of God and doesn't spend time with him. Kamaldheer Sharma alias KD (Annu Kapoor) is a bachelor for some unknown reason, while Pinky (Piyush Mishra) is secretly in love with a young Chinese woman, who only knows English but he himself being uneducated, is unable to express his feelings. The three men plan a holiday to Mauritius to have some fun, where they meet Ahana (Lisa Haydon), who is a social networking addict and gets annoyed because her rival girls have more Facebook likes and her ex-boyfriend had been commenting and liking their posts and condemning her at the same time.
The three men try to impress her by pretending to like her collections made from weird things like animal body parts, which although are stingy, they pretend to like them by still complimenting her. However, her Facebook obsession reaches heights and Ahana decides to commit suicide, but is interrupted when she sees her idol, Rajiv Bhatia alias Akshay Kumar (Akshay Kumar) shooting for a song. She tells the three men, how she's a huge fan of Akshay and wishes to meet him. The three men try to get her to meet Akshay, much to his disturbance . Meanwhile, Akshay is revealed to be secretly an alcoholic, who drinks alcoholic beverages filled in coconut, so that it appears like he's drinking coconut water. He agrees to work with Ranjit Basu (Subrat Dutta), a filmmaker, who is well known for his films earning more than ₹300 crores, and working with him would make Akshay, a better competitor to other superstars. However, Basu tells him, that he's not able to get in the character. The frustration of not getting into the required character and drinking too much alcohol causes Akshay to burst out in front of public and media on Pinky, who tells that Ahana had promised sex if he gets her to meet Akshay. Akshay publicly humiliates the three men and Ahana, by calling them perverts and slut shaming Ahana. But this however, backfires on him as he is a public figure. Moreover, he realises his mistake when Lali's wife blames KD and Pinky for this.
This time, Akshay visits just when the three men are about to leave, and asks them to forgive him and meets Ahana to apologise her. It is revealed that KD remained a bachelor because he loved Lali's younger sister, who is a divorcee but KD didn't want this to ruin his friendship with Lali. Akshay tells Ahana that to rectify his mistake,he has kept a conference, and that he intends to correct their public image. He tells the media in the press conference that he is working in a film Alcoholic, and what he did earlier was a promotional strategy and Lali, KD and Pinky are his uncles and know him from past. He also tells that Ahana is the new heroine of the film called "Alcoholic". While, the three men happily leave back to India. But Akshay finds himself even more frustrated, when he isn't able to get a good shot from Ahana, although he somehow manages to shoot the title track.
- Anupam Kher as Ashok Lalwani, aka Lali
- Annu Kapoor as Kamaldheer "KD" Sharma
- Piyush Mishra as Pinky
- Lisa Haydon as Ahana
- Akshay Kumar as Rajiv Bhatia A.K.A Akshay Kumar
- Rati Agnihotri as Mrs. Lalwani
- Manoj Joshi
- Kavin Dave
- Vandita Shrivastava as Escort
- Abhishek Bachchan in a special appearance
- Kareena Kapoor in a special appearance
- Sunil Shetty in a special appearance
- Dimple Kapadia in a special appearance
- Subrat Dutta as Ranjit Basu
- Amrit Maghera in a special appearance in the song "Meherbani"
The shooting of the film started on 25 April 2014 in Cape Town, South Africa. The indoor scenes were shot in a hotel room. Next schedule of filming started in Mauritius in early May 2014. The next schedule began in Delhi in May itself. Anupam Kher twitted that he was going to Delhi for outdoor shooting in Delhi on 11 May 2014. Last schedule was shot in cape town in August 2014.
Musical artist Honey Singh was signed for a song in the film. Singh has earlier collaborated with Akshay Kumar a few times, and on his request to the rapper-performer for one special number for the film, Singh offered him three songs for the film.
Initially, Nargis Fakhri was signed for the film but when she left the project for a Hollywood film, Spy the role was offered to Shraddha Kapoor. The part was finally offered to Lisa Haydon who accepted it. It was her first solo heroine film. Akshay Kumar was signed to play partner of Ahana played by Haydon, a role which Mithun Chakraborty had portrayed in the original film.
|1.||"Alcoholic"||Yo Yo Honey Singh||Yo Yo Honey Singh||3:20|
|2.||"Meherbani"||Arko Pravo Mukherjee||Jubin Nautiyal||4:04|
|3.||"Manali Trance"||Yo Yo Honey Singh||Neha Kakkar, Lil Golu||3:23|
|4.||"Aashiq Mizaaj"||Hard Kaur||Aman Trikha||3:46|
|5.||"Ishq Kutta Hai"||Vikram Negi||Mika Singh||4:44|
|6.||"Lonely"||Vikram Negi||Anu Malik||3:04|
- "'The Shaukeens' Viewers Review: Akshay Kumar Starrer Charms". Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "The Shaukeens: 2nd Week Box Office Collections". Koimoi.com. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Is it Lisa Haydon over Nargis in Shaukeen?". Filmfare. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- "Will Lisa Haydon replace Nargis in Shaukeen? - TOI Mobile". The Times of India. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- Geety Sahgal (5 September 2014). "Mauritius bound". The Indian Express. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- Asira Tarannum (27 September 2014). "Akshay Kumar doesn't want to over-promote himself for 'The Shaukeens'". Mid-day. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "Akshay Kumar, Lisa Haydon start shooting for 'Shaukeen' remake". The Indian Express. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Akshay Kumar's 'Shaukeen' remake kicks off". The Indian Express. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Anupam Kher in Delhi for 'Shaukeen' shoot". Indian Express. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- "Honey Singh offers bonanza for Akshay Kumar's 'Shaukeen'". DNA.
- "Akshay Kumar to romance Nargis Fakhri in Shaukeen remake". NDTV. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- "Shraddha Kapoor to replace Nargis Fakhri for Shaukeen remake". hindustantimes. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Lisa Haydon is Ahana in the Shaukeens after being Vijaylakshmi in Queen". The Telegraph. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "Nargis Fakhri dropped from Shaukeen remake". timesofindia. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "The Shaukeens". Retrieved 20 November 2014.